Removing Lint from Sweaters

Is there anything that I can put in my dryer to remove lint from dark clothing (black, blue, and red sweaters)? I don't dry the sweaters in the dryer, but I can't get the fine lint off using a clothes brush after they are dry. It seems to make them look faded.

Kristy from Oxford, MS

I accidentally washed my new black sweater with a small light blue throw rug and the sweater came out covered in small light blue lint balls. The lint is clinging to the sweater and would take hours and hours to remove by hand. A lint roller did not work, nor did an electric fabric shaver. I tried washing a second time with only dark clothes and it looked a bit better but no significant improvements.

Any other suggestions? Do those lint remover balls you use in the dryer work well? Thanks so much!!

Kristen in Kentucky

There is a product you can buy called the "Sweater Stone." I bought one over 10 years ago for around $6 and it still works great! Anyway, it is black, the size of a bar of soap and has a pumice like surface. It works a zillion times better (and faster) than those electric de-fuzzers. It is the only thing that has ever worked for me in desperate situations. You can usually pick them up at outdoorsy stores like REI or Adventure 16. Good Luck!!

this may help as "future reference" :

turn sweaters inside-out & the fuzzies will be on the under side !

I had something similar happen to me. I had to use a single-edge razor blade, held at an angle so it wouldn't cut into the garment, and it worked great.

wrap masking tape (sticky side out ) around your hand and start patting down and rotating tape. should help remove some.

You can get free Sweater Stones at http://www.sweaterstone.com they will take care of your problem.

Thanks SO much! I have tried the lint roller and the masking tape, but I am in the process of ordering the Sweater Stone... And it really is FREE! So all I am out is shipping and handling ($4.99).

Free Sweater Stone offer expired Jan 1st. I used a stone like this at a dry cleaners and it worked great! Anyone know where else to get one? Also works great on wool coats that get pilly.

I have a 'sweater shaver' that works wonderfully on sweaters, blankets, even bed sheets that 'pill'. I love this gadget. It actually shaves off those ugly pills and leaves your sweaters and other items looking smooth and like new again. It comes in two sizes, small and jumbo and runs on batteries. I just looked it up on Google and there are many sites about them. We all use it here in my house. Love it!

I got the Sweater Stone at "The Container Store".

WHEN I LOOKED UP THE FREE STONE OFFER IT DON'T EXPIRE UNTIL 2007. ALL YOU PAY IS $4.99

FOR S&H

CHRISTINE L. IN.

I found a great substitute that worked just great for getting lint and pills off of dark sweaters. There is a product called "Pumie Scouring Stick" in the cleaning section of any store. It is made to remove deposits from porcelain tubs, toilets and sinks. and costs less than $2. I tried it on a dark navy sweater and it worked wonderfully.

Thanks terdralynn. I had a couple of sigle edge razor shavors at home and used that to shave sweater fuzzies of a sweater dress I just bought. It works beautifully! They just come right off, it's back to looking new again.

I have two gorgeous rugs: one in the bathroom, solid black with a medium pile and one in the living room, an Oriental runner with beige design. With both being the color black, they seems to catch every piece of lint. Vacuuming does not remove all the lint. Is there a trick to keeping black rugs totally black and lint free? It seems I'm cleaning both rugs on a daily basis.

After reading everyone suggestion, I remembered I had a callus remover stone that I had bought for 1 dollar, so I tried it and it worked marvelous.

I live in Australia and I bought a grip it. It is plastic and at the bottom it has paper which looks like extra fine sandpaper you just rub lightly and it removes lint and ballies. Great for track suits almost any sweater. Rose

I had the same problem. I will try the pumice stone. Thank you all for the info. Ronnie

Sweaters
Removing Lint from Sweaters
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryJanuary 11, 2006
Recycle Sweaters into Scarves
Recycling Sweaters into Scarves
laundry basket of clean clothing
Preventing Lint on Clothing
laundry room with utility sink, washer, and dryer
Making a Lint Trap for a Washtub Drain
lint roller
Removing Lint from Clothing
🎄