How Communicable is Parvo?

I vaccinated one pup out of a litter with the 5 in 1 vaccination that contains the parvo vaccine. Can the rest of the pups get parvo from the vaccinated pup?

By Susan from Griffin, GA

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Yes! Please take your litter to the Veterinarian for an exam. The Vet can give you the proper advice. Good luck.

April 7, 2011 Flag

My sister's dog was around another dog that had parvo, she is 4 years old and is having puppies. Please tell me what could happen to mother and puppies when the pups are born?

By Mary from VA

Answers:

How Communicable is Parvo?

With such a serious disease, please don't waste your time (or the dog's and puppies' time) asking a question like this on Thriftyfun. Talk to a vet about this immediately. (12/17/2009)

By ahastings7878

How Communicable is Parvo?

I agree with ahastings. Parvo is extremely infectious, best to assume no dog is immune, and best to assume your sister's dog is at higher risk than male and fixed female dogs, since she's pregnant. Get her to the vet stat. (12/17/2009)

By nekocat

How Communicable is Parvo?

Parvo is a intestinal virus that is deadly to puppies and can kill older dogs also. Go to your vet now and get them vaccinated. Be a responsible pet owner! (12/18/2009)

By dwmoar

How Communicable is Parvo?

Never take your dog around dogs that haven't been vaccinated for Parvo. It's extremely contagious and a cruel death. I get very annoyed with people who don't get their dogs proper prevention when they are puppies. You need to see a vet ASAP. (12/18/2009)

By Stngray

How Communicable is Parvo?

Dogs are not even supposed to be in a yard or home where a dog who had parvo was in for up to two years even if the home was disinfected :-o Please talk to your vet about this situation! (12/20/2009)

By Deeli

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 12, 2009 Flag

I took my 8 year old dog to the the groomer. After picking him up, I was talking to the groomer and found out that her dog had about 4 months ago been sick with parvo. It was treated and is better now.

She had bleached the whole house and yard. I was not sure my dog, which was my mom's before she died, was up to date on shots. I called the vet and it had not had shots in two years.

So now I am concerned that he may get it parvo. How susceptible is he to parvo since he is not up to date on his shots?

By PersianTaz from NE

Answers:

How Communicable is Parvo?

I got a puppy whose parvo showed up a few days after we got him home. The vet said that no dog who has not finished and maintained their vaccinations should come on the property for at least a year. (08/22/2009)

By Recovering Spendthrift

How Communicable is Parvo?

Get him his shots like yesterday. (08/23/2009)

By lindal

How Communicable is Parvo?

I would think if she bleached everything, it should be okay. As a groomer she's probably had hundreds of dogs through her house in the last four months. I'd think she would have had feedback if any of the others had come down with Parvo. I would imagine that your dog would be fine. (08/23/2009)

By Noella

How Communicable is Parvo?

Parvo generally only affects puppies less than a year old. Your dog's parvo shot would have been when it was around 4-6 months old. And Parvo will live in the ground around a house, but it cannot be transmitted from your vet's dog to your dog without them being present together. She can't bring the disease to your dog on her. (08/27/2009)

By Lizard.cfd1

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Pets Dogs HealthApril 7, 2011
dog with parvo
Information About Parvo
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Sick Puppy
ParvoBusters Remedies for Parvo
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 21, 2017 at 6:39:20 PM on 10.0.2.108 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.