Use Your Bread Machine as a Rice Cooker

It's not thrifty or FUN to have to throw away pot after pot of scorched, gummy, or undercooked rice. But that's just what I was doing time after time trying to get a decent pot of rice cooked. Good rice eluded me! I never cooked a pot of perfect rice on the stove, never, not once. But I did discover something that has worked for me and maybe it can work for you too.

My bread machine that I use almost everyday has a bake only feature that lasts one hour. One day I wondered if I could utilize that setting to steam rice, kind of like those expensive rice machines. I put one cup of rice and two cups of water in the bread pan, fashioned a lid from heavy duty aluminum foil, tucking it around the edges of the pan, and set the machine to the bake setting. It worked! I had made perfect rice for the first time in my life! Was I happy!

Now I have discovered that 2 cups of rice and 4 cups of water is optimum for my machine size and I have rice leftover for another recipe. And if I'm careful, I can reuse the foil lid for batch after batch of rice. I let it dry and fold it up and put it in a drawer. I've even diced cooked chicken, and raw celery, onions and carrots and cooked it all in chicken broth the same way. I love my new 'rice cooker.'

Source: My own rice cooking desperation!

You don't say whether or not you leave the paddle in. Please advise. Thanks.

Isn't it more economical, simpler and much less clean up to learn how to cook rice properly? No wasted foil either.

I generally microwave mine (we use brown rice or barley as it's much healthier than white rice). It comes out beautifully and I can store it right in the container I used to cook it. I use a dish with a vented lid.

As long as you measure the grain and add the appropriate amount of water. you shouldn't have any problems.

I also make use of the oven if I'm cooking another part of the meal that can tolerate a little steam. I put the grain in a pan with the right amount of water alongside the other dish so I get double use out of the oven...even more economical.

Of course if you're trying to oven fry or bake something crisp; you don't want to be putting your water and grain in there but it works well with a lot of dishes.

GaJan, my paddle is so stuck on the post in the pan that I couldn't get it out if I wanted to! hahahahaha So yes, I do leave it in for cooking rice. But on my bake only cycle the paddle doesn't move. Thanks for bringing my omission to my attention.

Susan

Wow Susan! I would have never in a million years thought to even try cooking rice in my bread maker! Just goes to show you how thinking outside the box can be a good thing. I too struggle with making the perfect pot of rice so I will give this a try! Thanks for the great idea!

This is a good tip if you already have a breadmaker, but I'd like to add that a rice cooker doesn't have to be expensive. My son bought me one for $4 at a bargain store. It works just dandy.

However, steamed rice is not difficult to make either. Use the same proportions that you use in your rice maker. So, for example, use 2 cups of water and 1 cup of rice. Bring this to a boil and boil a few minutes until the water is nearly gone and there are steam vents in the top of the rice. Put the cover on the pot, remove from heat and let sit 20 minutes. That's it. Perfect rice every time. Use a big enough pot that your rice doesn't boil over. The advantage of the rice cooker is that you don't have to watch it -- you can put it in the cooker, and go do something else.

Great idea - I love it! We really took a liking to steamed, sometimes sticky, rice after we had the pleasure of opening our home to a teacher from Japan. And who can beat two appliances in one!!

Thanks for your idea. I made brown rice today and it came out perfectly. You saved me $25 as I was looking for a rice cooker. Also, when I made rice in the microwave, it usually bubbled over some and made a mess. No messes now!

Bread Machine
Use Your Bread Machine as a Rice Cooker
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsSeptember 2, 2008
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
A plate of cooked brown rice.
Cooking Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker
🎉
🎄