Sandbox Sand for Your Icy Driveway

Every year, I replace the sand in my daughter's turtle sand box because it gets leaves and pine needles from the yard, but I thought there should be something else I can use this sand for. Then I thought, in late October in Maine it is beginning to get cold and we are all stocking up on salt for icy driveways and walk ways. I started mixing half salt and half sandbox sand in the big kitty litter buckets. Sprinkle on with a cup when needed and this has been working great got us. 2 bags of sand at the beginning of spring, a summer of fun for a 4 year old, then safe walking during the winter for our family. Boy I guess I got my money's worth for that sand.

By Debbie from ME

What a great idea. We live in the Buffalo, NY area and of course we have the snow and ice also. Now with new Grandchildren the sandbox idea is good too. Thanks

man slipping on ice
Removing Ice on Sidewalks and Driveways
Home and Garden Home Improvement Home SafetyJanuary 21, 2009
gravel driveway
Inexpensive Alternatives to Paving a Driveway
moss on a driveway
Removing Moss from a Driveway
Making Sand Clay
Making Sand Clay
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway