Paint Color for Green Carpet

I have Hunter green carpet all throughout the house. I've painted my living room a different shade of green called Sheffield. The trim is a dark shade of green that almost matches the carpet. Anyway, it's horrible. Please help. I need to repaint. My furniture is a brownish/gold sectional. Any suggestions?

By Sandra from OK

Best Answer

I know someone who used white paint and added a few drops of green so it is a very light green you don't notice. It just ties their hunter green carpet together with the walls in your mind.

I hope this helps!

Kelly W. from Kalamazoo

Best Answer

I think yellow walls would look good with a green carpet (think sunflowers).

Best Answer

No one here gave a real definite answer and now it's too late. Purple, light to med. purple will look beautiful with a green carpet. And if you have light beige furniture, well, you just made the Interior Decorating Magazine home award.

Best Answer

I just painted my walls beige and it looks great with a semi white trim.

If the trim was painted white it would look good.

You might want to consider a beige of some shade on your trim. Or have you considerd a sponging or rag treatment on the walls and leaving the trim as it is? You could use a light shade of tan with a gold dry brush treatment on the walls.

I agree with AvaElizabeth. White or a cream would lighten things up. Or you can go with a burgendy, which is the complimentary colors of Hunter Green. Good luck!

I love green, but a whole room may be a little too much. I have a living room that has 18' walls. I painted one wall the dark hunter green and the other three walls a medium tan. They look great together. I would paint the walls of your room a medium tan. The trimwork could be the same color or a shade darker. (You might also try painting one wall the same color as the carpet.) Then add artwork, throw pillows etc. that have some of the hunter green in them and add other accent colors, such as burgendy, navy, etc.

March 8, 2010 Flag

I have dark green carpet throughout my home. I want to paint our bedroom and adjoining bath. What colors would go with the carpet? Our walls are all white with white trim now.

Patricia from Louisiana

Answers:

Paint Color for Green Carpet

Maybe you could inquire about a dye that can be sprayed, or a paint that would allow you to stencil a pattern randomly throughout the house. (07/20/2007)

By pam

Paint Color for Green Carpet

Go to a bookstore or library and find a copy of Ann Kullberg's "Colored Pencil Portraits." The cover colors offer some choices since hunter green is in the trees on the cover. While you are in the art section look through books for drawings or paintings which feature dark green (landscape paintings would be good) and see which ones you like. Light gray often accompanies dark green in nature, really light.

What theme are you working for: warmth, soothing, pretty? Rugs are a good way to tie things together, or paintings. You don't have to buy them, just find ones you like for possible color combinations. Are there dark green trees in your neighborhood? Do you like what you see around them, or would you prefer them in a different setting? It's all about you and how you react to your environment. As a last resort, think of it as grass. (07/21/2007)

By PIKKA

Paint Color for Green Carpet

I know someone who used white paint and added a few drops of green so it is a very light green you don't notice. It just ties their hunter green carpet together with the walls in your mind. I hope this helps! (07/25/2007)

Paint Color for Green Carpet

I think yellow walls would look good with a green carpet (think sunflowers). (07/27/2007)

By Maryeileen

Paint Color for Green Carpet

My fiance (now my husband) has that ugly green carpet which he chose before I met him. He replaced the cream carpets because he said it hides dirt. We are trying to sell it so I don't want to replace it. I painted the walls a medium taupe color because it warms up the green and takes away the stark contrast which only shows the green more. Second, I plan to buy curtains (I am thinking a sophisticated plaid) with hints of green in it. (01/09/2008)

By lisa vernon

Paint Color for Green Carpet

We have hunter green carpet throughout our whole home. We painted our living room yellow and have a peach colored wall that goes into our dining room. (04/27/2008)

By Janet Eades

Paint Color for Green Carpet

I just painted my walls beige and it looks great with a semi white trim. (02/27/2009)

By CHUCK

Paint Color for Green Carpet

We have hunter green carpet in our house. We just painted an accent wall in our combination dining room/living room. We used a brownish/reddish/orangeish color called "Villa Torlonia" from Ralph Lauren (might be able to get a very similar color in another brand). Although I still haven't decided what shade of yellow/gold/tan to put on the other 3 walls, the accent wall looks GORGEOUS. Everyone really likes it. (09/29/2009)

By Olive P

July 20, 2007 Flag

We just bought our first home. The only problem is the entire house is covered with Hunter Green Carpet throughout. The stairs and everywhere. My question is, I have brown couches for my living room and a maroon recliner. The furniture is medium between dark and light. What color can I paint my walls to take away from this ugly green carpet?

I want to paint the walls a color other than white. Please help with any ideas. My kitchen is attached and open to the living room. It has purple grapes with dark green ivy for the wallpaper. These people loved green. Any ideas please to color my living room, I need help!

Toewall from Texas

Answers:

Decorating a Home With Hunter Green Carpet

I would paint the walls a light to medium taupe or light to medium gold color. You can vary the intensity of color from room to room. Purchase some light color area rugs to cover some of the green carpet and to provide contrast with your furniture. Also, purchase uplight to place behind greenery and furniture you want to highlight, and the eye will go toward the light and not notice the floor. (02/28/2006)

By Melanie

I would paint your walls Taupe. Once you find the color of taupe you like on the color sample strip, go up two shades lighter on the strip and paint your ceiling that lighter shade of Taupe. This will help a stark white ceiling from standing out so much because of the green carpet. I would incorporate a Taupe rug and towels in the kitchen as well. (02/28/2006)

By Marnita

I would paint the walls a very light color like cream.. not white, but cream. dont forget that green is a great color. Flowers come in every color, but the leaves are usually green... Your maroon piece of furniture will go beautifully with the green carpet... especially if its more like burgundy because red and green are opposite each other on the color wheel... Lastly, I saw an episode of Sell This House where the house had mauve pink carpeting.. At the open house all potential buyers commented on the pink carpet.... The people working on the show painted the walls a light pink thus taking away from the carpet.. Also, it makes the rooms look larger if the floor and walls are all the same color... with the floor a darker shade of the wall color... HOpe you can at least one idea from what I've said.. (02/28/2006)

By Carol

I feel your pain. My home is also filled with hunter green carpet. I haven't painted my walls anything but white and I am planning to redo my bedroom. I thought I was the only house out there filled with hunter green carpet. Good luck... I fear that you need it. (03/15/2006)

By Rachel

I know this post was from months ago but I had to comment. Since you are the owner of the house why on earth would you be keeping these rugs? I don't know what you have underneath them but having rented in a place for 15 years with a 70 hunter green rug and not being allowed to replace it, I would never live with it had I owned it.

Anyway hope it all worked out for you :) (05/12/2006)

By Tone

When we purchased our previous home it too had old yucky green carpet. And I mean it was nasty and ugly. We shampooed it and painted the walls etc. Financially we couldn't paint, fix up and re-carpet. So we chose to keep the carpet and do other things. We were in that house for 13 yrs. All the fix ups helped a lot with the re-sale. Besides, we decided if someone else wanted new carpet they could get it. A month later we drove past and there was that carpet by the road :) (05/12/2006)

By Ariela

On a lark I just typed in "Hunter Green and Cream" to see what'd come up on the net. This is why: I need a new stove and refrigerator and like these new ones with stainless steel fronts, black sides. Black sides? Well, I could learn to live with the color, thinking to then lay down a new floor and use a brick/maroon plaid carpet. You know, stainless/black, plaid carpetaing, a man's kitchen. Trouble is I really like my school bus yellow walls and the two white cabinets and two white appliances I've had to date....but change is good. So I was thinking I could enamel the two bases a Hunter Green and do walls in a rich Cream.

Cream and Hunter Green is a classic English combo. So, cream walls, two green bases (sink & storage cabinet), stainless fronts on appliances, black sides, brick plaid carpeting and "touch up" where needed with natural (wood or rattan) and a bit of red (all the spice companies I like bottle/w red caps....whaddya' you gonna' do?)

I thought the color references posted above made sense, if one keeps all green carpeting throughout a house. I can see some of the suggestions in the plaid I want to use. Saw some nice ones at local carpet store and several at HOME DEPOT.
(12/09/2006)

By Ab Ovo

Green Carpet
Paint Color to Coordinate With Green Carpet
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceMarch 8, 2010
Blue-Green Carpet
Paint Color to Coordinate With Blue-Green Carpet
Light Colored Carpet
Paint Color to Coordinate With Light Colored Carpet
Turquoise Carpet
Choosing a Paint Color to Coordinate With Turquoise Carpet
a woman looking at paint swatches.
Paint Color to Coordinate With Rust Colored Carpet
🎉
🎄