Hard Candy Decorative Lights

When I originally made these about 20 years ago, I used clear plastic food containers which I can no longer can find. It also works over small clear plastic bowls stapling 2 together. You will need small water bottles, colored cellophane, twist ties, and a string of white mini lights or rope light.

Carefully cut the cap end off of the water bottle, a little tiny bit larger then the plug on the lights and do the same in center of the bottom. Stretch your lights out, now thread the bottles on the lights to the middle from either end. Cut your cellophane just a little bit larger than the bottle is round and 3 or 4 inches longer on either end, with a very small piece of tape, tape cellophane to bottle and use twist ties to secure it to the lights. Leaving 1 light expose between candy pieces or leave approximately 3 in. between cellophane tips, repeat alternating colors of cellophane.

Because the bottles are of various sizes I cannot give you exact measurements for the cellophane or the amount of bottles you'll need to cover a strand of lights. I always try to put the connection an extra cord inside of a bottle when connecting strands together. These can be stretched between candy canes or bushes; these are cute indoors or out

By Babbie from Lemon Grove, CA

Here is a photo of a small section; Hope this helps.

how cute!

What a neat idea - I love it! Thank you!

I love this idea! I hope I'll have time to make one myself this year. Check the supermarkets for clear containers. I've saved some that are the same or similar plastic to the water bottles, for sharing food with other people. Now I have another use for them! The bakery sections use small round containers for cupcakes, etc., and oblong containers for cookies, donuts, pound cakes, etc. Then there are salad containers; they have clear lids and sometimes solid bottoms. You could save two lids and connect them together.

Keep your eyes peeled as you walk the store, for sometimes you'll spot other interesting containers that can be turned into craft projects with some imagination. I saw a small Christmas tree once that was made from a stack of baby food jars turned on their sides and glued together in a tree shape (a pyramid); the lid ends were the back, and a bulb from a light string was threaded into each jar through a hole in the lid. It was really cute, so I saved baby food jars (no kids, I fed the food to sickly cats), but I have yet to make my own jar tree!

Thanks for the photo! I was having a hard time visualizing!

A twig star outside in the snow.
Homemade Outdoor Christmas Decorations
Crafts Christmas DecorationsDecember 10, 2008
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Classic Christmas Tree
Putting Lights on a Christmas Tree
Oregon Zoolights
Saving Money on Christmas Lights