Homemade Remedies For Dog's Coughing

My dog has a chronic dry hacking cough. The vet meds help some but are not enough. Does anyone have suggestions for some home treatments to calm the cough that aren't likely to interact with his prescriptions?

April from Jeffersonville, IN

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

We live in central Ontario (Canada), and in our area there is a condition known as "Blastomycosis". It is a fungal infection, usually in the lungs, but can get in any open wounds. In the lungs, it produces a cough in people (and animals too) that sometimes gets diagnosed as pnemonia. (sp?)

It is also prevelant in the Mississippi area apparently. Because it is not common in many areas, it goes undiagnosed often, especially in dogs.

It might be worth mentioning to the vet, especially if you've been anywhere that "Blasto" is prevelant.

Go to a different vet and tell them everything that happened at the first one; including what meds,how long they've been taken, etc.

Clavamox is still the antibiotic of choice for dogs but many vets have switched to using much cheaper/more profitable alternatives that often do not work as well. They still charge you top dollar but also get an extra visit and mew med sale out of it if the cheapo meds don't work.

You don;t mention the dog's age or suspected breeds/size but any cough should improve with the right meds after a day or two; much like if you have cough. if it doesn't; you need to get him to a different vet. Doesn't sound like this will clear up on its own. Good luck.

I'm sorry your dog has this chronic cough. I'm sorry I don't have any homemade remedies but just thought I would share that our dog's cough was from fluid in his lungs caused by enlarged heart not working well. The vet prescribed enalapril and lasix for two weeks which immediately stopped the cough. We were able to stop the lasix but must continue the other one. Hopefully your dog just has a virus though and will get over it.

We've been fighting this cough since Memorial Day weekend. I've had two vet consults at my regular vet as well as a third vet. My dog is a 13 yr old pug who has a narrow trachea. The first two vets think his trachea is beginning to collapse. The very first diagnosis was cough due to the renovations were doing in our home (made since to me--I had a cough too!). The work was done and over in 3 days and he's been coughing ever sense. The third vet thinks that the cough is due to the renovations and he is now sensitive to allergans. The meds the vets have him on now have calmed the cough (he sounded like a honking goose), now he sounds like an old person hacking and coughing. His lungs are clear, it is a dry cough, but he still coughs the majority of the time he's awake which further aggravates his throat. ARRGH!

Hello, April in Jeffersonville!

I'm just across the bridge in Louisville and it's awesome to see a "local post"...

I'd consider several things, in the order of most simple first:

1. Open the windows and air out the building debris with fans etc.

2. If anyone smokes in your home, suggest they do that outside-for your health as well as the health of your Baby.

3. Since the coughing began after the renovations, that is highly suspect. Different materials, as well as the dust can be very harmful-as evident by your own coughing. Did the crew use MDF?? That can be VERY bad. Paint fumes?? Another reason to air out your home. Is your home an older home? What about lead paint being released in the air? Have you tried an air cleaner-one with a HEPA filter? Did you change the bag in your vacuum after the work was done?

4. Can your Pup go spend a few days at a friend's place to see if it helps him?

5. I'm concerned that the renovations MAY have triggered some allergy problems-maybe the vet might be open to an "allergy shot" (steroids, usually). Have you tried a Benadryl (with VET'S APPROVAL!)

6. I also have a Pug-well-He's a Pug/Beagle-aka Puggle who often has a "snortty" sound. As you know that is something that makes them who they are as individuals....but your Baby may need some antibiotics too. Have you tried something to soothe his throat...there is a herbal tea from Traditional Medicinals-that MAYBE could be watered down-again-vet's approval! Also, at Amazing Grace, you can get these sore throat "supplements" that are all natural but still may help him. I'd check with them for any other all natural remedy they may have to offer. I'd consider s tiny bit of chicen broth too. ....my Baby enjoys popcicles too...

7. As I said, I'm across the bridge...Shively Animal Clinic rates very high in my book (our doc) and they could also offer another opinion.

8. Lastly, although the renovation seems to be the trigger-has your Baby had a kennel cough vaccine? Has he been exposed to multiple dogs-like at a boarding/kennel location? Has he been to a dog park lately?

I hope you both get to feeling better and I'll eep some good thoughts for you both as well.

Blessings,

lymie

Answer

Please does anyone know a remedy for my 12 year old Maltese dog that has a bad hacking cough? The vet's meds aren't helping at all.

By Ann M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks. Ciran, I will try this. Thanking you in advance. Ann

Read More Answers...
Pets Dogs HealthAugust 29, 2008
Woman With A Cold
Homemade Cold Remedies
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Sad looking puppy on carpet
Removing Dog Urine Stains from Carpet
Homemade Vaporub, ointment in jar
Homemade Vaporub Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2016 at 11:47:27 PM on 10.0.0.75 in 801 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.