Buying an Exterior TV Antenna

I am looking for a outside antenna. My government coupon expired. I would also be interested in how to make one.

By Arlene C. from UT

You might go to your local recylcing place for parts if you make one, or go to your local dump [if it's possible] and look in their metal area to see if they have one. If you have private dump yards sometimes they keep things and you could call and see if they have one. Put an ad on craigslist. Somebody might have one in their basement or garage they want hauled away. Call companies that deal in scrap metal?

My Dad had his own business and hauled away his own scrap debris. He always poked around to see if there was anything he could use at the dump yard, and found many useful things, and since he was handy, he'd just repair them and they'd be put to good use.

I could be wrong, but if I recall correctly, a new antenna won't help if you're using an old TV. If you're using an older TV, you'd need a converter box to pick up the digital signal. Or, newer TVs can pick up the digital signal without the converter box. So if you're trying to pick up the digital signal with an older TV, a new antenna won't help - you need to get the converter.

But, like I said, I could be wrong. Best of luck - hope you get your signal soon!

Mrs. story is right. My daughter has an older TV with a very good antenna, but they were both useless without the converter box. So even if you get an antenna, you still need to buy a converter box to get it to work.

We purchased our antenna from www.antennasdirect.com

This site has a lot of information which will help you to decide which antenna you need. Even if you don't buy one from them, peruse the site thoroughly first! Take notes and keep a pen and paper handy. Give yourself at least an hour. Seriously.

The new antenna will give you digital and analog signals - but the TV needs to be digital or you will need to get a converter box (worthless in my opinion if you rely on a vcr or dvd to record).

Truly, if you record the converter box will not change channels (lie channel 8.1 at 7 pm and channel 13.1 at 9 pm). If ALL you do is sit and watch tv that is being aired, and don't mind messing with the remote, then keep the old analog tv and invest in a converter box.

BUT, if you want to record more than one channel to watch later, then you must get digital dvd or digital vcr/dvd. JUST Make sure the vcr is also digital!

Sorry about the cap letters, but I've been burned - be forewarned. Check out digital vcr/dvd prices at Sam's Club if you are a member. Also, know that some small local channels are still broadcasting in analog - so don't be confused.

Consumer Advice Product FinderOctober 9, 2009
hdtv
Saving Money on an HD Antenna
Red Exterior Door
Paint Color Ideas for Exterior Door
Buffing marks from a Car's Exterior
Removing Stains and Marks from a Car's Exterior
bottle of super glue
Removing Super Glue from a Car's Exterior
🎉
🎄