Buying Organic Clothing

I have a strange request. My father just discovered after years of a terrible rash that he is allergic to everything that is used in clothing, ie. the formaldehyde used in permanent press and most dyes. His doctors have all suggested switching to completely organic cotton clothing. However, such clothing is almost impossible to find... Does anyone out there know where I can find completely natural, organic, formaldehyde-free cotton clothing? No one wants him to go naked!

Beth from MA

I've seen a few items in the women's department at Walmart. Maybe the men's part has some too.

try googling 100 % organic cotton clothing. I just did it and got lots of web sites

Walmart has some, I believe. Also, google organic clothing. CottonfieldUSA.com and hempclothiers.com are just 2 that have men's clothing. If he can wear hemp, it's even on sale. Also google organic cotton. You can email the manufacturer on their website and find out if it's free of formaldehyde. Men's summer clothes - shirts and pants - are not too difficult to sew. Good luck. I have some allergies too, and summer can be uncomfortable if you don't plan ahead.

You can buy 100% cotton sheets and sew them into shirts and pants and stuff.

Make sure his towels and sheets fit in with these special requirements. Ditto for laundry detergent, softener, body lotion, shampoo and toothpaste.

Also double rinse clothing in washing machine.

I have a question. Formaldehyde is used in the sizing that is put on clothing so it looks nice when showed at the stores. Washing the clothing is supposed to remove it, although sometimes it takes a couple times. That is why we're told to wash articles before we wear them, since our bodies can absorb the chemicals. "Organic" just means that no pesticides/chemicals were used growing the fabric (cotton, hemp, etc.) and in the processing of it. If your father just bought NATURAL (undyed) fibers and washed them well before he wore them, would that be sufficient? While I understand the reason individuals buy organic products (I'm an owner at a coop and believe it a fantastic way to live), it might it be more cost effective to replace his clothing (even if just underware, socks, and stuff) with well washed natural, undyed fibers.

http://www.shirtsofbamboo.com/index.php

Bamboo can be just as nice as cotton

This comes from "Woman's World" magazine. It is for making linens allergy-free but maybe it would work for clothing, too.

"Presoak bedding for half an hour in a mixture of warm water, 2 oz. eucalyptus oil and 1 oz. liquid dishwashing detergent, then wash with your usual laundry detergent."

Hope this helps.

check out www.idealbite.com

Here is a great website with lots of vendors: http://www.coopamerica.org/pubs/greenpages/results.cfm?category=CQ The search bar will limit to stores in your state or you can check their websites. These are also supposed to be no slave labor (unlike some big stores I shall not name!)

how about Hemp clothing.

Formaldehyde isn't just in our fabrics it is in the laundry detergents, bath soap , shampoo, coffee, tooth paste and alot of other thing. I can help. Go to this link and fill out the info page and I can call you.

Dinah www.memesbiz.com

Remember the only thing natural for sure is that no pesticides were used. After that, anything goes. Janice's has some nice stuff. But I find they also have a strong odor.

I am allergic to formaldehyde. Avoid all permanent press clothing and bed sheets. If it says wrinkle free - do not buy it. However, I have found that washing the article several times helps - make sure the detergent is fragrance free or make your own. Another alternative is to wash the clothes in powdered milk. Just a couple of cups per load. The milk breaks down the finish and you should be good to go. Also, do not use a dryer sheet....use those dryer balls instead. Most dryer sheets have formaldehyde in them, especially if they have a fragrance. Good Luck!

You could try the local Thrift Store, look for 100pct cotton clothes which have been used and washed and then rewash yourself before use. This would already have the finishes off from washing prevous owner. Also check for sheets while you are there.

Do you or anyone in family sew? Check out aurorasilk.com for organic cotton and silk fabric. I used to work for the owner and I know her fabric is safe. Supposedly Walmart is offering organic cotton clothing. Joanns might have organic fabric, but the stores often smell of formaldehyde so scratch that. Interweavepress.com has a magazine on natural things, you'll be able to recognize it by title; might be a good source for clothing. Check out dharma trading on web. They have simple clothing blanks (undyed, unpatterned both silk and cotton I think and they can tell you if it's organic or not.

You need to know the "natural/organic" label has been watered down by lobbyists to be almost meaningless. You need to ask hard questions of source to find out the truth.

I think the organic clothing Walmart sells is only for children but you can check it out. A doctor told me daughter that it takes 60 washings to completely get the chemicals out. You might take a few of his outfits and throw them in the wash everytime you do a load. I know it is hard to find used clothing for men because most of them refuse to get rid of thier clothes until they aren't fit to wear.

Actually, there are a number of stores and catalogue stores that sell all organic clothing-Guiam is one, there are others. Look online. they are more expensive. Also, make your own laundry detergent-the recipes are available on this site. I bet he has some reaction to all the ingredients in detergent. Since I stopped buying detergent and I make my own laundry soap, hand soap, dish soap, etc., I cannot stand the strong smell from laundry detergents and other commercial products. You will also save a lot of money which you will need from buying organic cotton which is not white white like the other stuff. Non-bleached, chemically treated natural cotton is off-white and even light brown with spots from real cotton flecks. Check the whites for a clue to be sure you have real cotton.

Also check out www.greenlabelorganic.com. They are 100% organic and don't use heavy metals or PVC's in their dyes, and every shirt is made from start to finish in the USA!

Better Living Green Living ShoppingJune 21, 2007
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Organic Food
Buying Organic Food
Hands holding organic fertilizer.
Homemade Organic Fertilizer Recipes
Manure Pellets
Using Organic Fertilizers
🎉
🎄