CookiesBaking & Desserts

Recipe For Almond Cookies Using Almond Paste

Does anyone have a recipe for an almond cookie that is really moist. Using almond paste, and then sliced almonds covering the outside? A nearby bakery makes some like this, and dips them into chocolate to cover half of the cookie and sells them for $2 each! My guess is that almond paste is used, as the cookies are pretty gooey in the finished product. Thanks!

Tracey from Westerville, OH

Look for macaroon recipes containing almonds. They will probably have coconut in them, too.

Ciao Italia.com has a few cookies using almond paste. Good Luck.

Yes I do! But I'm at work right now. I will do my best to remember it tomorrow. I can tell you now that they are made of almond paste, confectioner's sugar, and egg white, and rolled in sliced almonds. They are extremely sticky things to work with. I always form them near the sink with the water running at a trickle since they are easier to form with wet hands. They are heavenly!

Here's the recipe I promised you for Almond Crescents:

1/2 pound almond paste

1/2 cup confectioner's sugar

1 egg white

sliced almonds

Glaze: 2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar

Lemon juice to make a thin glaze

If you don't have a strong mixer, you will probably want to do the mixing with your hands. I find this way to messy to do in a food processor. You'll spend more time trying to get it out of the bowl and off the blade than you did preparing it.

Blend the almond paste, the sugar, and the egg white thoroughly. You can make them any size you wish, but I generally make one batch into one dozen. Keeping your hands wet, shape the mixture into crescents and roll in sliced almonds. Bake on silicone sheets or parchment paper for 20 minutes at 300 degrees, or till just barely starting to turn golden.

When they are cool, dip them in the glaze. They really do need to be dipped as it helps hold the sliced almonds in place and it makes the flavor so much better. You don't taste the lemon but it makes a difference. I tried to skip the lemon juice and just use a water and sugar glaze once and the taste was just not the same.

When the glaze is dry you can continue and dip them in dipping chocolate if you wish.

What is almond paste anyway? I would like to make the cookies as they sound delicious.