Browsing: Preventing and Eliminating Kidney Stones

Preventing and Eliminating Kidney Stones

How could I get rid of my granular size stones in my kidney? My doctor told me that it's okay, however I feel a recurring back pain and leg pain that I suspect to be results of those granular stones in my kidneys as the medical scan shows.

By gap from Manila, Philippines

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

My husband had his first kidney stone attack last year and he said the pain was unbearable.

What has worked for my husband is that he drinks a lot of lemonade made from bottled lemon juice, sugar and water. What works for one person, may not work for someone else. He also has low blood sugar so the lemonade helps with his low blood sugar and also breaks down the sizes of the kidney stones so they are easier to pass.

DH has to avoid ice cream since it can cause kidney stone formation.

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/Kudiseases/pubs/stonesadults/

If you suffer from kidney stones the following foods should be avoided or eaten in moderation.

Foods and Drinks Containing Oxalate

People prone to forming calcium oxalate stones may be asked by their doctor to limit or avoid certain foods if their urine contains an excess of oxalate.

High-oxalate foods higher to lower:

rhubarb

pinach

beets

Swiss chard

wheat germ

oybean crackers

peanuts

okra

chocolate

black Indian tea

weet potatoes

Foods that have medium amounts of oxalate may be eaten in limited amounts.

Medium-oxalate foods higher to lower:

grits

grapes

celery

green pepper

red raspberries

fruit cake

trawberries

marmalade

liver

Source: The Oxalosis and Hyperoxaluria Foundation.

My urologist suggested that I drink plenty of lemonade and/or Crystal Light. He said that the citric acid in these drinks can help to break down stones that have formed. I hope that this helps and that you get some relief.

Juice fresh lemons and freeze it in ice trays. Store the cubes in a zip lock bag in the freezer. Put a cube of lemon juice in an insulated mug and fill with ice cubes and water. You'll have lemon water to sip on for several hours. Just keep adding water as you drink it until the cube of lemon juice is melted.

There are a lot of good advice on here. My daughter has kidney stones too. They started when she was 16. Her doctor recommended the lemon water. He also recommmended no dark sodas unless you drink the equal amount of water after. Another friend said that his doctor recommmended apple cider. You are suppose to drink a glass and follow by equal amount of water. He said if you have an attack, don't eat and start this flush and it will relieve the pain. We haven't tried that but he said it worked for him. He also added that it has to be apple cider and not apple juice. Good luck with this very painful condition.

I was told to drink lots of water. This helps flush the kidneys.

Depending on the origin source. Some is calcium some is phosphates. Phosphates come from soda pop consumption. A friend of mine had them up the yin yang, and when he finally quit the pop (as his doctor had said) his kidney stones stopped. My husband gets them too, but does not plan to give up 2 pop a day. I don't buy it, will not serve it, he is on his own without sympathy when he gets an attack. Heads for the clinic, a hypo, an IV to push fluids and waits there till it moves.

The pain of the kidney stone is when it is moving scraping the inside little tubeways. When it stops hurting it is in a pocket or moves on out. This is why straining urine is important to know where it is. A CT will show where it is, but that is pricey if you have no insurance.

Picture of a kidney containing kidney stones
Health & Beauty AdviceJune 18, 2010
Hypertufa Stepping Stones
Making Hypertufa Stepping Stones
Homemade Dog Food
Homemade Food for Dog with Kidney Disease
Eliminating Food Waste
Eliminating Food Waste at Home
Kidney Bean Salad
Kidney Bean Salad Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 12:40:13 PM on 10.0.1.205 in 779 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.