Improving the Flavor of Canned Bean and Ham Soup

I love the Campbell Chunky soups. One of my favorites is the Hearty Bean and Ham, but it seems to be missing something. I am not one who likes really spicy foods, but would appreciate advice from you food-savvy people on what spice I can add (other than salt) to make the soup more interesting. Thanks.

By Vicki from Monroe, MI

I agree, that soup needs help! I'm a big fan of Emeril's Original Essence seasoning. It's not hot, but has many wonderful spices it in.

Thanks so much! If it has to do with Emeril, it has to be good! He is awesome to watch!

Anonymous

Try adding a bit of dry mustard and/or garlic salt to taste. For a can of that size it probably would only take a pinch or two.

I always add a splash or two of Worcestershire sauce to my vegetable soup. Might work with Bean and ham soup. Or try a drop or 2 of Liquid Smoke to oomph it up.

I always add "Mrs Dash" to everything I make that isn't sweet. You can buy the different ones. I like the onion or the garlic one. They aren't too spicy. Also you can always just use dried onions to the soup. Hope this will help. Just try different things until you hit the right one for your taste. Good Luck and God Bless.

I'm not a big fan of spicy foods, but I love to add a few splashes of green Tobasco sauce to various kinds of beans. The green is much milder than the red variety.

I sometimes add Cajun seasoning to my dishes. Not too much but it does give it a nice flavor and depending how much you add it wouldn't be spicy, if you add only a little. It tastes great on roasted potatoes too!

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas! I have added a lot of those items to my grocery list to buy and give a try!

Bless you all!

Pinch of cayenne to a bowl of soup and a tsp of butter swirled through the soup.

Trader Joe's 21Seasoning Salute is a wonderful addition. Inexpensive and not filled with extra salt. Love it!