Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Rubbing Alcohol As Roach Spray

Kill roaches by spraying them with rubbing alcohol. I was sitting outside at night when I saw the beast and sprayed it; it died within minutes. Of course, I had to chase it first. This is new to me. I buy the alcohol at the dollar store so it's a cheap tip. Hope you don't have roaches, but if you try this, I hope it works for you!

By metroplex from Houston, TX

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By elva [1]08/03/2010

I never heard that before, but I will try it. alcohol is a lot cheaper then Raid Roach Kill Spray, that is what is buy all the time.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Roach Spray

My mom taught me this very effective tip for roaches: fill a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol and keep handy. They die immediately upon contact.

By Robin S.

RE: Roach Spray

I've never heard of this one, but I certainly will give it a try. (07/21/2005)

By JoJo

RE: Roach Spray

Would love to hear how this works for you also Jojo. This would be lovely to use. I don't have roaches at this time, but good to file away in the back of my mind (07/22/2005)

By FFL

RE: Roach Spray

Actually, rubbing alcohol will kill any insect or spider on contact. Because these animal take in oxygen through their carapaces (shells), spraying them with alcohol suffocates them. So it is great for ants, wasps, spiders, fleas, etc. The only thing worth noting, though, is that it only works on bugs if it is sprayed directly on them-- that is, it will not prevent them from entering, nor will it kill any others than the ones you directly spray. So rubbing alcohol is good for immediate insect elimination, but not for long term control. (07/22/2005)

By Karen

RE: Roach Spray

I've kept alcohol in a spray bottle for at least 40 years, (not the same alcohol of course) for cleaning and wound care, as well as for my pierced ears. Thanks for this great hint. This summer is quite buggy.

I Love the sprayers from 409 bottles and fetch them from recycling whenever I see them. They have a Long Needle spray and a Fan spray too.

I will be spritzing the nasties aplenty now. Hmm, maybe I need to put alcohol on my shopping list. Thanks so much!

I use the needle spray quite effectively on water bottles to discourage my pets from misdeeds and got plenty of them out of trees when I still let them outside. (08/01/2005)

By Linne Dodds

Dawn for Roaches

To kill roaches on contact without using any harmful chemicals, mix 1 part Dawn dishwashing soap to 2 parts water in a spray bottle. Just spray on roach and they die in seconds! I tried this and it really works! (08/19/2005)

By Jojo

RE: Roach Spray

The best kind of control I have found is Bengal roach spray. Not only does it kill them, but leaves a barrier for up to 6 months, plus offers a money back guarantee! This stuff really works, it is the only brand I use. (11/07/2007)

By becky

RE: Roach Spray

Orange Oil kills them very quickly and smells good (01/17/2008)

By Eric