Polly's Texan Tuna Salad

The deli near my office has a killer tuna salad sandwich, tastes fantastic and kills the wallet! So I decided to do some culinary detective work and figure out how to make it at home to help resist the temptation to buy that $6 sandwich. The last ingredient took me forever to figure out!

Ingredients

• albacore tuna in water
  • 2 parts lite mayo
  • 1 part lite cream cheese (sometimes marked "neufchatel cheese")
  • Ad
  • a few splashes of lemon juice
  • dashes of garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper (to taste; I like a lot of cayenne myself!)
  • few tablespoons minced green onion
  • few tablespoons finely diced jicama

Note: I don't believe in measuring ingredients for anything except baking but I'll try to give some approximations. Taste it as you go along and make it yours!)

Directions

The last ingredient, jicama, will never win a vegetable beauty contest. Also called Mexican potato and technically a legume, it looks more like an ugly turnip but has a light watery crunch like a water chestnut. In Texas, you can find it in many grocery stores that carry a variety of Mexican veggies and I would imagine that in other states you could at least find it in grocery stores with gourmet produce sections. It may take a little effort to find it, but it's worth it!

By txdesignerd from Tyler, TX

This sounds so good! Can't wait to try it! Jicama is so good. I love slicing it and eating it for a snack. I also use it when I need to take a snack for a party.

Sounds great! Another variety, you could leave out the cayenne & toss in some chopped jalapeno, with pico de gallo (chopped onions & chopped tomatoes).

We like jicama, it tastes like a cross between raw potato and apple.

Tuna Salad
Tuna Salad Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes SandwichesAugust 13, 2007
Canned Tuna drained in a white dish
Making Tuna Salad Without Mayo
Tuna Wrap
Tuna Wrap Recipes
Tuna Tetrazzini
Tuna Tetrazzini Recipes
tuna pasta salad
Tuna Pasta Salad Recipes
🎉
🎄