Troubleshooting Sewing Machine Problems

My machine suddenly stopped sewing. It is not picking up bobbin thread. There are no loops under the material. I have re-threaded it 3 times and have cleaned the bobbin area and rechecked the bobbin. I have also changed needle and thread. No luck.

By Coral from Nudgee, QLD.

Best Answer

Try this. Turn your bobbincase on it's side. There should be a small screw. This will adjust the tension. When you put your bobbin in the bobbin case hang onto the thread and your bobbincase should slowly go downward (like a yo-yo). If it does not move you tightened the screw too much. Hope this helps.

I also have the same problem for the first time with my sewing machine Singer model 4423 purchased 3 months ago. As I was sewing the machine suddenly stopped and bent the needle then it stopped sewing. The knob on the right which controls the needle became unmovable. At first I still try to adjust the foot presser (labeled as # 2) but the knob is still tight.

So I was forced to open the machine, now exposing all the metal parts, I thought of applying some machine oil to solve tightness and run it. To my amazement it runs smoothly so I continue adding more oil and the noise was lessened too. Now the thread problem, the needle still doesn't pick up the thread beneath.

So again I opened the bobbin part, removed the dust and put some oil and run the machine. Try running it but still doesn't sew properly. So I decided to remove the bobbin casing, removed the dust, put some oil and adjusted the metal part (where you hook the thread in place) on the left side. Hurray! It works! Hope this helps...

Sewing Machine Needle Not Catching Thread
Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesNovember 16, 2010
Singer Sewing Machine
Repairing a Singer Sewing Machine
Closeup of Janome sewing machine
Repairing a Janome or New Home Sewing Machine
Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Using a Handy Stitch Sewing Machine
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine