Puppy Has Gel-like, Bloody Stool

My 12 week old puppy has stool with a gel-like look and blood in it. Can you tell me what that is and the cause?

Gigi from Oberlin, OH

I had a puppy that had the same problem. We got the puppy as a rescue and it was supposed to have been vet checked. Well, it turned out that the puppy had toxidia. It is a one celled protozoa and it can mutate and can also spread to humans. We had to get rid of the pup because we have a child with GI disorders and this was something we did not want to deal with. If you read about it online you will read info that ranges from this is nothing to very serious warnings about this spreading to humans.

The vet said you have to be VERY careful about had washing and the pup licking you. It was too serious for us to deal with. Also, our yard is contaminated to growing veggies and to having another pet. No one could give me a clear cut answer on this but I have gotten anywhere from a year to 10 years for the contamination. Good luck to you! I hope this isn't what your puppy has. Take in a stool sample so you will know for sure.

You MUST take this pup to the vet. Blood from any orifice is not a good thing, and not a thing to be answered, except by a professional. Sounds a little like Parvo to me. Do take your little friend to the vet.

Best wishes to you and your puppy.

Leah from Down Under.

Please take your puppy to the vet - pronto! A friend of mine had a dog with this problem. Turned out, the puppy ate a stick, which perforated it's colon and had an infection. Their sweet puppy died - even after surgery.

Get him/her to a vet as soon as you can.

Being a breeder of cats which would be similar, it sounds a bit like Giardia or worms and will probably need vet treatment. I do have a wonderful hint for animals with diarrhoea. I always add a bit of water to their food then add some dry Quick Cooking Oats, not rolled oats, too heavy. Works wonders. Do not cook, It is quite tasteless and very little smell and they accept it.

This could be SO MANY things! My puppies had this after getting into the cats food and chewing sticks. Needless to say after a few trips to the vet and lots of stool samples, relocating the cat food and removing all sticks from the yard everything turned out fine...BUT you really SHOULD take your puppy to the vet and let THEM diagnose the problem!

Get him to the vets asap! Sounds like parvo

I pray you have already taken the good advise from your friends here at TF! and I pray he is doing much better! I would like to add a thank you for all the adoptions I've seen on these pages! Hooray for adoptiion!

Sometimes it is because of new food. My puppy eats my older dogs food alot and at first he had bloody stools too (not very nice to clean up either). And the same for the older dog he ate the puppy food. They were fine after a few times. But it may not be that.

Photo of a sad puppy laying on the floor.
Puppy With Blood in its Stool
Pets Dogs HealthNovember 4, 2008
Hand Scooping Out Homemade Hair Gel
Homemade Hair Gel Recipes
A cute black puppy chewing on its owners finger.
Teething Advice for Puppies
Bloody Mary
Bloody Mary Mix Recipes
pug looking sad.
Dog With Soft Stool
🎄
🍂