Men: Color Your Hair For Half The Cost!

I know. It's vain. But I color my hair to keep that youthful dark brown. I use
"Just For Men" hair color to do so.

The standard dosage is for guys with a lot more hair than me. You can't just save the remnants after mixing. Believe me, it doesn't work. So what do you do? After mixing, you just have to dispose of what's left.

What I do is make a half batch. I carefully measure one half of each ingredient, and mix half of each for application. Initially, I used spare empty spice containers, but have found that the containers that come with the kit work just fine. It also works well after the second kit to use the squirter bottle from the first to mix the batch so you always keep an unopened, sealed squirter lid from the new kit to use to shake the mixture. Just keep one empty kit to measure and mix the next new kit, and you're set.

By Jax from Tigard, OR

I helped a male friend color his hair and I think it helped that we did it messily. I think I used the gel that usually is for the beard and mustache. Anyway, I applied it with an old toothbrush, so the color wouldn't be too heavy, and I kept the grey around the temples to make it look more natural. Good job, if I do say so myself. One-toned dark hair is too aging and artificial.

ladies kits for gray solution is the highest now almost 10 dollars and my hair is thin and short so i do the same thing using half to save money and you can also take a fine tooth comb and comb through your hair to get complete coverage before rinsing it out. lots of time you can check the website of your favorite companys hair color brand and print a coupon to use at store purchase.

Back when I also colored my hair I would almost never do an all over color. I would mix just two teaspoons according to the directions for the allergy test. I'd carefully paint it on my roots only, and save a whole lot.

The real supprise came when I stopped coloring my hair. Now I get all kinds of compliments on it, and I don't have to spend an hour every week looking messy.

I have done this for over 40 years... because I have short hair and never needed the entire contents of one kit for one application-- sometimes a girl friend and I would share one kit doing each others frosting or streaking...

never did I have a problem ... but be sure you do not mix then store... store separately and mix in another bottle.

The least expensive way to go is to buy Ladies "TOUCH UP" kits, (& use a coupon to buy these!). A touch-up kit costs about half as much as a regular box of hair color & you get a little less than half as much coloring in a touch-up kit as you would in the usual size. Last spring I bought a "touch up kit" & was very happy with it. It colored not only my roots, but half of my waist length hair.

---> So, men, when you plan on coloring your hair, beard & mustache, try using a Ladies Touch-up kit (a kit that's made for covering up roots in between colorings).

* Another tip is to shop for quality hair coloring at stores like Big Lots & other liquidation stores. Some of these are discontinued because of simple things like their labels that have been changed, but most are colors that have been discontinued. Look for the pull date on the side of the box to make sure they aren't too old.

* Beware of dollar store hair colors & cheapie brands, recently I ruined my hair by purchasing a discount brand. I guess this is one area in life, where it pays to buy a top-quality product & not the cheapest one on the shelf... But, if you are a man with short hair, I'm sure it wouldn't be as big a deal as a woman with waist-length hair that has taken many years to grow out.

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips MenJuly 16, 2008
Textured Half Shell Cowl
Making a Textured Half Shell Cowl
A business suit with a white shirt and red tie.
Saving Money on Men's Suits
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink