Craft Project: Crocheted Recycled Christmas Cards

Since I can't stand to throw out all my beautiful Christmas cards,I cut shapes from them, then punch holes around the sides, and crochet on them to make beautiful new Christmas Ornaments. I decorated our tree at church last year with them and received raves!!

Approximate Time: 10 minutes

• Old Christmas Cards
  • Crochet thread to coordinate with cut-out card shapes, size 10
  • size 3 or 7 crochet hook

Instructions:

Cut the desired shape from an old Christmas card. Using small aluminum knitting needle or large darning needle, punch holes approximately 3/8 inch in and same amount around the edge of the card shape. Pull crochet thread thru middle hole on bottom of shape, sc, ch 1, sc in next hole all the way around and join in first sc. Row 2: Make simple shells on the 2nd row by skipping next ch, make 5 dc in next ch, on last dc, skip 1 ch, sc. Repeat around by skipping 1 ch, make 5 dc, then skip 1 ch, and sc. Anyone with any knowledge of crocheting can improvise your own edgings.

By roseoma3 from Liberal MO

Wow - You are so clever. They look great. :-)

You are tremendously talented and generous, as well, with your talent. Thanks for sharing your gift with us and God bless you.

What a beautiful idea! Thanks for sharing them!

Great idea! Just beautiful!

Now this is just one AWESOME TIP ! ! !... It's probably my top favorite since I've been on this site! ... Thank you for posting it! ... & just think of how wonderful a metallic trim would look crotched on to one of these cards! ...

I think I'd use one of those super-tiny punches that scrapbookers use to make the holes.

Do you paint the back of the cards one color or do you just leave the backs as they are?

These are adorable!! Thank you for the idea. In last few years I have made Christmas trees decorations that I can "throw away". I'm a real scrooge when it comes to Christmas trees, I hate all the work they entail. So, I've started the "disposable tree". My kids are homeschooled, so part of Dec. art work is to make tree decorations. We have no electric lights or tinsel, actually the tree is quite special. I did order German Candle holders. Like they used in the "old days". We light the tree once, with fire exquisher close by,and sing a song. The real candles are an awesome sight. These ornaments will be great. Cyinda asked what do you do to the backs? I would like to suggest you cut two shapes (with different pictures) the same size , glue together and then, crochet. For my younger children, I think I will just punch edges and let them thread heavy, thick yarn, in and out. I'm thinking as I type this.... for backing, how about trying to use the verse from the card, or some of it. Usually they are written with a pretty font. Or maybe you could capture the card givers name (signature). Just my two cents. But, I really do love the idea. THANKS.

These are so pretty and you are really talented.

So nice. Something very new and origional. I am always trying to think up uses for the Christmas cards as they are so pretty it's a shame to throw them out. Thanks for sharing and posting the pictures.

These are wonderful and so cute !! I just thought of an idea for those who don't crochet. How about gluing a piece of felt to the back and then maybe putting some glitter around the edges ?

clever and crafty. Neat idea.

This would be great for using cards from a deceased relative to give to my siblings for Christmas! Thanks for the idea.

I "punch" the holes by setting my sewing machine on the selected measurement between the holes and just pretend you are sewing around the card, much like you do when sewing on applique. I call this "blind' stitching. Of course, there is no thread, you are just using the needle to punch the hole. You can then enlarge the hole with a tapestry needle, or even a toothpick.

Another option is to use a pattern marking wheel, the one that looks like a small pizza cutter.

Happy Holidays!

Granny Beth

They would make nice bookmarks too. I think I might enclose one in Christmas cards that I send to my reader friends, maybe with an extra stamp? Other old cards could be dressed up as bookmarks to enclose in a birthday card. I just bought some crochet thread and had been looking for a project, I think this is ideal! Thanks for the great idea. :-)

Very smart and lovely, super for gift tags. I re-use the cards for that purpose but hadn't gone as far as this, mostly cause I never thought of it!

Lovely.

Cheers, and Merry Christmas

Crocheted Christmas Card Ornaments
Crocheted Christmas Ornaments
Crafts Christmas OrnamentsDecember 3, 2008
Angel made from a recycled green pop bottle.
Making a Pop Bottle Angel
A woman stand in a room built using recycled windows.
Building with Recycled Windows
Vintage Hank Aaron Baseball Card Leaning Against Old Baseball
Determining the Value of Baseball Cards
🎄