Inexpensive Landscape Fabric - Categories:

LandscapingGardening

Inexpensive Landscape Fabric

I have no money for landscaping. What can I use for landscape fabric? My husband and I put down landscape fabric in our yard last year, but we are no longer together and I cannot afford to buy anything for the yard. Does anybody have any suggestions of what I can use that is "dirt" cheap instead of expensive landscape fabric?

Hardiness Zone: 10b

Faye from NC

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Would it be possible to put down sheets of recycled plastic, as from dry cleaner bags or a plastic drop cloth cut to fit and then cover with pebbles/stones/or bark? They do use some sort of plastic to keep the weeds down - altho it's black...

8 layers of newspaper covered by mulch will work just fine. If you need to wet the newspaper to hold it in place that will be OK. It will supress weeds and eventually decompose. Best of all it's free.

I agree with the post to use newspaper; at the newspaper that I work at we give our old papers away for free (most people use them for their new puppies). I used a clear plastic (paint) drop cloth once and had covered it with mulch but weeds actually grew under the plastic. I think that because they still got light from the sun, they still grew. I always wondered if used bedsheets that you could get from a resale shop might work as landscape fabric, though they would decompose eventually, they would keep the weeds down and still let water and nutrients through. If you do find something that works for you, please make sure to share with the rest of us!

I used cardboard from boxes, break them down and use garden staples to secure them. I haven't had a problem other than the stuff that drops on top of the mulch. That would be happening even if you used the material.

Burlap has been around for ages, has been inexpensive and will work quite nicely for your needs. :-)

Newspaper, newspaper, newspaper. Cheap and Free. Good for the environment and great for weed control!

I agree with the newspaper gardening. Just don't use the slick colored parts of the newspaper. Have you ever heard of lasagna gardening? It is many layers of material that you put down in the fall and by spring, you are ready to plant. Google lasagna gardening and I am sure you will come up with the explanation. I have used the newspaper and the cardboard. Cardboard is a little easier to work with and eventually breaks down but not as soon as newspaper. Make sure you put a good layer of mulch over the top of the newspaper and yes, watering it down helps immensely to stay in place.

Try using newspapers. Just unfold the newspapers and lay them under your compost or mulch and it will keep the weeds down and lets the water filter through. It is very cheap and it is biodegradable. Good luck!

I've used both newspaper and cardboard in place of landscape fabric. Both do the job well. And each will break down and enrich your soil. If you waste your money on landscape fabric, you don't have the advantage of adding nutrients to the soil so for that reason I don't like it. Cardboard takes longer to break down into soil but you can only use it on level areas. For slopes or slightly unlevel areas newspapers work best. Don't forget to use several sheets of newspaper and overlap your sheets well. Weeds grow up through the cracks if you don't do that. You will be quite pleased with your results!

If you have some old used carpet you could cut it the size you need and put it down. I've done that for keeping weeds from growing and as a mulch.

My grandpa always asked the local carpet place for remnants or stuff they took out of peoples house and were going to throw away. It does stink and get really heavy after it gets wet. You might could use an old shower curtain or some of the bag from the cleaners they hang over clothes (they might give you some for free if you ask). Also use the brown paper packaging from some shipping boxes or that white plastic coating they wrap around new stuff (ask your local Walmart).

You can use newspaper, but it breaks down after a few years if thick enough. You can use plastic garbage bags or plastic sheeting sold at Home Depot/Lowe's.

You could buy a flat king size sheet from Salvation Army for about $3.00. Obviously it doesn't matter if the design is faded. It's usually made of cotton and will let the rain or garden hose water through. It cuts very easily with a scissors and you can cut it any shape you need. I would also consider garage sales as a resource for the inexpensive sheets, or even huge towels.

Large size empty pet food bags, trash bags, old carpet, cheap tarps from harbor freight, or any type of fabric dis-guards. Once you start looking around you will find all kinds of free things laying around the house or garage.

Go girl! You can do it!

My husband and I flip houses and we used to use landscape fabric. As flippers, we can not take the time to go back and weed former properties landscaping. He suggested using old carpet that we pull up when renovating the house....it works very well...plus water/rain can get through to the soil underneath, whereas it can't with shower curtains and things of that nature. Today I am going out to a house to landscape....I will keep my eye out for carpet on the side of the road thrown out (as we have used this before); but today I may try the cardboard as I read it works very well also....and it lasts pretty well, and can be just picked up when it's time to replace the mulch. I read that in the following article this morning: http://www.examiner.com/article/che ... alternatives-for-landscaping-fabric. I hope I remember to come back to this site and let you know how it worked....or read more input from others...but for sure, I do know....if you can find old carpet, it does work well to keep weeds out! Best of results to you all!

Home and Garden Gardening LandscapingApril 14, 2008
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
A platter of fruit and cheese.
Inexpensive Wedding Appetizers
Finding an Inexpensive Car, Blue Volkswagon Beetle parked by a building.
Finding an Inexpensive Car
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 23, 2016 at 11:43:57 PM on 10.0.2.136 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.