Flower Seeds

How can I gather the seeds from my mom's marigolds and mums so that we can grow more next year?
Thanks.

By Slingshot_317 from TX

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

Pinch the dried up blossom from it's stem near the bottom of seed pod and store in paper bag until ready to sow. When you are ready to plant the seeds, gently rub the dried pod and all the seeds will freely fall open. If you have several colors of marigolds you may want to separate the colors by labeling each bag.

Best Answer

You can grow mums from cuttings taken from plant by the 4th of July. Just put cuttings in ground and keep them watered.

On marigolds, the seeds are hooked to the bottom of the petals. Pull them out when the flower has wilted and dried out. I don't know about mums, sorry.

Some varieties are hybrids and although they produce seeds, they won't grow.

For marigolds: After the flower has died cut them off and let them dry out for a few weeks. Then open the dead flower and it will be filled with seeds, probably about 20-30 seeds per flower. The seeds are long (about 1/2 to 3/4 inches each) and they are black at the bottom and light brown or gold at the top. Store them in an evelope or a paper bag. Do not store seeds in plastic baggies. Just plant and barely cover the seeds with dirt in the spring and you will have gorgeous flowers. I do this every year.

November 2, 2010 Flag

I just started a flower garden. I spent a lot of money on annuals. I would like to know if there are any web sites that show you what flower seeds look like so next year I won't have to spend so much money. I'm sure there must be several sites. I am not too good on the computer though. Thanks.

Lu-Lu

Answers:

Flower Seeds

Too true, perennials seem to cost more to start with, but you get results much sooner, just don't forget a lot of perennials can be grown easily from seed. Or better still, beg cuttings of flowers you like in your family's, friends', or neighbours' gardens. Most gardeners are happy to share their plants with you as well as some of their own gardening expertise.

Some good on-line sites to give you some ideas:

gardensablaze.com
organicgardening.com
grow-your-own-garden.com
thompson-morgan.com

Happy gardening.
(06/29/2004)

By Lizaixi

Flower Seeds

Flower seeds:

After the flower blooms and dies, often a type of pod will form. Once dry (very dry) and a little open you can see the seeds in the pods. You can save the complete pod in an envelope or empty the seeds into an envelop (marked with the name of the flower, I forgot one year to mark the envelope) to plant next spring. Don't forget the planting instructions (either found on the original seed packet or on-line).

I just found out that straw flowers are not to be covered with soil as they need the light to germinate-learn something new every day!
There are some flowers, like the Chinese Lantern, that forms a sheath like leaf with the seeds between the layers. You can see the seeds through the sheath of the Chinese lantern.
Azaleas, rose, rhodedenron bushes, etc., I feel, are better purchased. Many people do start the bushes from cuttings at the joints, but it can be difficult to start.
Nuts are the seeds of the trees and bushes.
Hope this helps. Happy gardening. (09/02/2006)

By mrsmootoo

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Marigold Seeds
Harvesting Marigold Seeds
Home and Garden Gardening SeedsNovember 2, 2010
Beautiful Flower Beds
Finding Free Flower Seeds
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed
Sowing seeds directly.
Direct Sowing Seeds
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 10:43:37 AM on 10.0.0.234 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.