My Frugal Life: Saving on Electricity

I started being conscious of energy use via lighting in the 70's. My Frugal LifeThe first thing I did was train my 2 children to turn off the lights when they weren't using them. I began buying task lighting for them, and unscrewed the huge incandescents in the house. When the energy saving bulbs became available, I bought the best. They last forever, and don't give off a "fluorescent glow", just a nice, workable light.

Now that my kids are grown and out, I just use the task lighting I need at that moment. Otherwise, all lights are out except for a few strategic night lights. I get by with the ambient lighting from the street lights and the warm fuzzy glow from the TV.

When I go to bed, I turn on the bedside light to get my bearings, then turn it off. My energy bill went from $250.00 a month down to an average of $20 to $25 a month. I don't suffer a bit because I know my way around my house. I just try not to step on the cat. Good luck, be brave.

By Sue

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here:

You are right: "good luck, be brave"..

Great advice.

My father would always go around turning off lights, & now I do the same thing! I prefer natural daylight as long as it lasts, anyway!

My story isn't a frugal one but a funny one. One time I was fedup with my kids and husband for not turning off the lights. I went around unplugging the lamps or unscrewing the lightbulbs from the ceiling fixtures. When they complained I said, Oh, the light fairy must have turned off the power to those lights. Now every one turns off the ligths. Wish I could do that with other appliances.

Love, "Oh the light fairy must have turned off the power to those lights." A real attention getter, better than nagging.

Energy Saving Tips
Energy Saving Tips
Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeJuly 27, 2009
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Putting Money in Change Purse
Living a Frugal Lifestyle
Static Electricity
Preventing Static Electricity
A young child counting coins.
Teaching Your Kids About Frugal Living