Drying Corn To Feed Wildlife
When finding frozen corn kernels on sale, I buy them and dry them for the birds and squirrels :-) You can easily do double batches by just making sure to switch the baking sheets from rack to rack each time you stir during baking. Everyone's oven is different so when any kernels begin to become golden, start stirring every 15 minutes instead of 45 minutes.
- Thaw frozen package(s) of corn overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees F.
- Remove kernels from packaging, spread out evenly on a cloth towel, place another towel over the kernels, and gently soak up as much moisture as possible.
- Transfer the kernels to a cookie sheet, spread out evenly and place in oven and bake, stirring every 45 minutes in order to evenly dry, about 3 to 3 1/2 hours. The kernels will be ready when they are hard and the majority of them are lightly golden.
- Allow to cool and place in a sealable storage container.
By Deeli from Richland, WA
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Guide