Chocolate ChipCookies

My Mother's Chocolate Cream Cookies

• 4 1/4 lbs. sugar
  • 1 lb. 15 oz. lard
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 1/4 oz. baking powder
  • 1 1/4 quarts milk
  • 5 lb. 12 oz. flour
  • 10 oz. cocoa
  • Vanilla, salt, cinnamon

Directions:

Mix together sugar, lard, eggs. Then add the rest. Drop by spoon on ungreased cookie sheets and bake around 10 minutes at 350 degrees F. Then cool. Frost with powdered sugar frosting.

By Robin

Anonymous

How many dozen cookies does this receipe make? How much vanilla, salt, and cinnamon should you add with that much flour, lard, sugar, cocoa?

Are you sure that isn't cups instead of pounds of sugar. That would be 9 cups of sugar to 10 3/4 cups of flour.

I have been looking for a baking recipe using lard. I was told by an elderly friend of mine that lard was always used for baking and cooking. She said food tastes better when using lard. But do have a recipe that doesn't make such a large amount? I couldn't make such a large amount especially when it is a recipe I never tried. Thank you.

WOW! This recipe must make enough cookies for an army. What do you use for a mixing bowl?

Robin, do you have any idea of the measurements for the vanilla,salt & cinnamon. This sounds like it will take all day to bake this many cookies. BUT it would be a good one to send to our troops. You could send unopened canned frosting and pack the cookies in popcorn. Has worked for several wars. Thanks. GG Vi

This was an Old Thresher's recipe, so yes, it's made in large amounts. I do not have the exact measurements for these. I will have to confess, I do a lot of "throwing" different spices into recipes, even when there is a definite amount listed. I'm comfortable with that. That's how my mom cooks and I guess I picked it up from her. There is no actual amount given on these so I guess it's an experimental recipe for some. Sorry!

Robin