Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Cemetery Waste Basket Dipping

This tip might sound a little horrible to some but I like to go driving through the cemetery and looking into the waste baskets. A deflated helium balloon makes a great wrapping paper and there is always a ribbon attached to it. Or you could get some lovely plastic flowers.

After certain holidays you can find some holiday decorations there too. The loved one's who are visiting will often throw them out when changing to new flowers or decorations or the cemetery workers come along and throw things out, like a deflated balloon.

I would NEVER take ANYTHING off a grave. But if it's in the waste basket, it's better that someone else gets enjoyment, and use out of it than it sitting in a dump.

By scottish skinflint from KCMO

Recent Feedback

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Kathy [51]08/14/2009

I suggested this awhile back. I have a cemetery next door to me and they periodically clean the grave sites and put everything they cleaned up behind a shed in the cemetery. When I saw the cleaning crew out there, I asked permission to take some of the items (flowers and ribbons) and I got their blessing. I cleaned the artificial flowers and used them for wreaths that I was making. I think it's a great idea. However, I did not win. But that's okay. I love submitting ideas and reading other ideas. I love this site.

By Julia [136]08/12/2009

Regardless of which trash can it comes out of, when
it goes into a garbage or rubbish truck, it ends up in the same place...our city and county dumps or landfills. One day, those are all going to be filled up and we'll have to do something else. If we all started right now, and did our best to recycle and reuse anything that might end up in one of those ever-smaller growing spots, we could all learn something and teach it to our children at the same time. Ultimately, it's going to be the future generations who will have the most trouble dealing with lack of space in all areas.

I see nothing at all wrong with "reclaiming or recycling" anything that's found in the cemetary trash cans or barrels. After all, those items have already served one purpose, and if they can serve another, then so much the better.

One small thing about germs...where would they come from? What would be the difference in using
items from a cemetary than it would from your corner neighbor's trash heap? I promise you that the dead pose no problem at all with germs as when
they're embalmed or put into sealed caskets or vaults, there is absolutely no danger at all from them. There might be a passing dog, cat or wild animal who would use the ground area, but no more
so than any other place you'd be recycling from. I've seen some really nice baskets, wire wreath stands etc going to the garbage dump or landfill which have so much life left in them that it seems a shame not to do something else with them than allow them to go to waste. I rather doubt that the cemetary admin
would object to anyone helping them by taking some of it. You can always ask if you think you should. As another reader mentioned, this applies only to those items placed in the trash bins by cemetary personnel or family and friends who are cleaning up the gravesites. No one should even consider "robbing a grave"...not that it would actually hurt anyone really, but simply because it's not nice. Our family has had so many things stollen
or removed from our loved ones' resting places that we have become very careful what we put there now.

You know that all of us only do these things for ourselves anyway... Our loved ones who have left
this earth are in a far better place than any cemetary plot. If you want to really "make them
happy as they smile down at us " (maybe...who knows?) then think about how much they meant to
you when you were together. Sing a song for them,
or recite a beautiful poem. Donate money to one of their favorite charities or buy a book for the local library in their name. If anything still means
anything to them regarding this earth at all, then so
will those things. Just my opinion. I apologize for
being so long, but this is a favorite subject for me.
(subject? soapbox?) One or the other for sure.

All the best to everyone,
Julia in Coconut Creek, FL

By Holly [350]08/12/2009

I'd be concerned about germs.

By Candy Killion [8]08/12/2009

The only thing you have to watch out for with this is that a lot of cemeteries will post warnings about taking anything off the "premises or grounds"--not unlike state parks ( don't you touch those free pine cones!!). That would also technically include their garbage.

Just make sure there aren't any posted signs anywhere before doing your hunting ( haunted or otherwise:)

By Patricia Hamm [4]08/12/2009

I like your courage. Personally, I don't think I could go cementary dumpster diving but you go girl. The less I get the more for you. Have fun.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.