Tips For Grooming Heavy Shedding Dogs

I have two German Shepherds. I call them "German Shedders".
I get literally a shopping bag of fur when I brush them out.

During the warmer months, I groom them outside. To easily pick up their hair, I spray it with the hose. This makes the fur very easy to pick up.

Indoors I have wood floors. When it is cold out, I groom indoors, and sweep up the hair.

Gotta love those dogs! :)

By Christine from Sterling

PS: I don't know if I can name a brand, but the "Furminator" IS definitely worth the money.

Please tell me what the "Furnminator" is.

It sounds as if it is something every pet owner should invest in.

I use the stainless steal de-shedding tool ,jeffers pet supply sells them, 3 different sizes(i use the lrg tool on everyone), i have 3 small house dogs and 4 outside/inside large dogs(newf/pyrenees x's) and 3 cats...i could not live without this tool....

The Furminator is a very good tool for this, but it can cost a chunk (large goes up to $50). I saw great deals on eBay though -

I agree about the effectiveness of the Furminator. I bought the medium size and note that you can buy the different size blades as they all fit the handle. There are two German Shepherds here also and the older has problems with undercoat matting in spots. The Furminator is the best, although I need to carefully work the knots free first with my fingers.

The 16 month girl is not ready for such intense grooming yet but we are working towards it.

I also have a lot of pet fur...I am a foster parent for a no-kill at present, I have my dog, 2 foster dogs, my 3 cats and 3 foster cats and 8 foster kittens.......every day I brush all but the kittens, who just get a gentle combing.....I save all the fur......a friend who makes those nesting boxes for the wild birds and ducks and geese collects it from me (1 Glad bag holds at least a month's worth of fur if you cram it in), and leaves it out in the "wilderness" where he installs the nesting boxes....he has to replenish it often....I also have a small family (6) of adult crows who gather on my fence whenever I brush my dog outside....I just leave her fur out in my yard and watch the crows carry it off!!!! Serious recycling!!!!

Sometimes when I brush my Sheltie I could swear I get enough hair off of her to knit another dog!

Grooming Your Dog, Cocker puppy in a tub with a rubber duckie.
Grooming Your Dog
Pets GroomingJuly 22, 2008
A dog's brush next to a pile of dog hair.
Reducing Your Dog's Shedding
Wet dog wrapped in a blue towel.
Grooming Difficult Dogs
Long Haired Dachshunds
Grooming Long Haired Dachshunds
A Persian cat with long hair.
Reducing Your Cat's Shedding