Uses for a Broken Garden Hose

How can I recycle an old garden water hose that has a hole in it? I am not interesting in trying to repair it but can I use it for something else?

By Betty from Lubbock, TX

Best Answer

Add some more holes and use it to make a soaker hose for your flowers or garden.

Best Answer

I made a sprinkler out of mine. You can also make a slow-drip hose to water your outdoor plants & flowers.

First dry out the hose, then take an old soldering iron & use the end of the hot soldering iron to poke holes in the hose every 1 or 2 inches. Wait several seconds between holes for the iron the reheat. You can buy a soldering iron for around $5 & if you wipe all the rubber off the soldering iron while it's still hot you can still use it to solder with later.

You can use this hose to slowly feed your plants & you can even bury it underground if you like & just drip the water slowly. Or you can use it as a sprinkler above ground. I made mine for an area where I was going to have a ditch dug for additional wiring & used it to wet & soften the ground before digging.

Before using your new hose, cover the end of it with Duct Tape or a screw-on hose attachment that you can close to keep the water in so the pressure will build up & make the water squirt out of the hose. It works best if you align the holes (when poking them) along only one side of the hose. Place the holes up for an above-ground sprinkler & down for an underground drip-feeder.

If you want to make a drip-water hose, you'll have to first know where you are going to bury it. Simply measure the area BETWEEN the plants & don't poke holes where there are no plants. Underground drip-watering is a very effective way to water your plants & conserve water because hardly any water evaporates so you can also water during the warm part of the day.

You need more holes further away from the spigot & less holes closer, because there is more water pressure closer to the faucet.

You can also repair almost any hose.

They sell all the pieces to repair them at Hardware stores & also at Big Lots (the liquidation store).

Best Answer

I have seen people who have to tie their small trees up, use it to cover the string so the string doesn't touch the tree branches. They do that at the parks over here, all the time. I like the soaker hose idea, it uses less water.

Best Answer

If you have fruit trees, put it in them to keep birds away.

I made a basket with mine.

http://abuildingweshallgo.blogspot. ... ld-garden-hose-and-201-zip-ties.html

Old garden hose
Uses for Old Garden Hose
Better Living Green Living ReusingApril 7, 2010
A broken green dish in several pieces
Reusing Broken Dishes
Old Vacuum Cleaner and Hose
Repairing a Torn Vacuum Cleaner Hose
Repairing a Hole in a Garden Hose
Repairing a Hole in a Garden Hose
Spray Bottles With a Hose Connector
Uses for Spray Bottles With Hose Connectors
🎉
🎄