Making Yogurt Without Soy or Animal Milk

Does anyone know if it is possible to make yogurt from any kind of milk other than animal or soya? I have tried to make it from rice milk but it didn't work. Any ideas? I cannot have soy or dairy (including goat's milk).

Thank you,
Gillian from UK

This is just an FYI for you and any other readers who make or want to make their own yogurt. Be very careful with every utensil, etc that comes in contact with the yogurt or yogurt container, especially if you are NOT using a commercial or purchased yogurt maker.

About 30 years ago a frend of mine came very close to dying from Chrons disease. That might not be spelled right. They had made their own yogurt for a long time and they are extremely clean people. He was in the hospital for several days before they found out what the problem was AND what it was caused from. And yes, it was caused from homemade yogurt. Thankfully, he did recover...it would have been a tragic loss to his wife and babies. He still has to be careful about what he eats and always will. I'm not trying to scare anyone...it's just a word of caution. Life is a precious gift.

I'd love to know myself how to do this! My son cannot have cow or goat milk either but loves yogurt and cheese.

FYI- I cared for a woman with Chrone's (sp) disease and it seems to be genetic not related to yogurt...

You might be able to use coconut milk or almond milk or rice milk. Do a search how to make yogurt.

You can make it with coconut milk if you put something in there to feed the bacteria, eg. honey or mashed fruit. Make sure you clean and boil everything that comes in contact with the yogurt, you don't want to grow the wrong kind of bacteria. Use only l. acidophilus, l. bulgaricus and l. thermophilus (Yogourmet starteror Custom Probiotics) for culturing, and ferment for 24 hours so they eat up all the sugar.

www.breakingtheviviouscycle.info has info on yogurt making and also Chrons disease....

Chrons Disease is not caused from yogurt, it is an Immune disorder.

I know because I nearly died from it too.