Seafood Bisque Recipe

I would love a seafood bisque recipe if anyone is willing to share.

By Sean

Corn and Crab Bisque

3 T. butter

½ c. corn kernels

¼ c. chopped onion

¼ c. chopped celery

¼ c. chopped red pepper

1 clove garlic, minced

¼ c. flour

2 ½ c. vegetable stock, simmering

½ c. heavy cream

¼ c. jumbo lump crab meat

¼ c. shredded cheddar cheese

1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add corn, onion, celery, pepper, and garlic and cook until onion is softened, about 3 minutes.

2. Using a wire whisk, add flour and stir constantly until mixture becomes a white roux, do not brown.

3. Gradually add hot stock, stirring constantly. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Let it stand for up to 2 hours.

4. Just before serving, add heavy cream. Heat until soup barely reaches a simmer, about 3 minutes.

5. Fold in crab meat and sprinkle cheese on top. Season with salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce.

This is a cheater recipe but it's so good! I found it at Southern Living years ago. Are you looking for a quick but delicious seafood soup? Can't wait to make that stock and take all that extra time? Well, this is the soup for you. It's thick and creamy and comforting. I know many of you out there frown upon the use of condensed soups. But try this.. it tastes like a restaurant quality soup without all the fuss. Use whatever seafood you like. Just use at least 1 1/2 pounds of it. You can even use chopped cooked chicken if you don't like seafood. Want a curry flavor? Just add some curry powder while cooking the onions and celery. You can turn this into a creamy curried vegetable soup by omitting the seafood and using more onions and celery with the addition of carrots and whatever other vegetables are your favorites. Leave out the curry powder for a satisfying creamy vegetable soup. Just try it, you'll like it.

1/2 cup butter

1 stalk celery, minced

1 small onion, minced

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram

3 tablespoons flour or baking mix (I use buttermilk baking mix)

3 1/2 cups milk (or more if you like a thinner soup. More milk can be added as needed after soup is completed.)

2 cans condensed cream of potato soup (undiluted)

1-1/2 lbs shrimp or scallops or clams or crab (whatever you want your soup to be I like to use shrimp, scallops and whole baby clams. You can add your favorite fish, too!

Chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)

Melt butter in 3-quart saucepan over low heat.

Saute' celery and onion until tender.

Add cayenne pepper, thyme, marjoram and flour or baking mix and stir until smooth.

Add milk and condensed soup and stir until piping hot.

Meanwhile clean and chop seafood as you like.

I usually halve the shrimp and then cut one half in half and leave the other half whole.

If using extra large scallops I usually quarter them.

When soup is piping hot add seafood and stir on medium heat until seafood is cooked through.

Serve in bowls topped with some fresh parsley along with some crusty bread or oyster crackers and a nice salad.

Thanks so much guys! I can't wait to try these!

Does anyone have a recipe for seafood bisque similar to that served at Cafe Nile in Kansas City? It was creamy with a pink color (paprika, I think) and some unusual middle-eastern spices and had chunks of seafood in it. It was heavenly and my family talks about it often, since the restaurant closed.

Nicki from Amarillo, TX

Answers:

Seafood Bisque Recipe

It sounds like lobster bisque. Try a recipe for that. (06/21/2008)

By Noella