StorageFood and Recipes

Store Salad Greens With a Paper Towel

I have an unusual tip to share but oh so useful! We all know that the darker greens are the healthiest for us, so we all know that romaine lettuce has a very short life in the fridge! My daughter and her hubby loved caeser salad, but were constantly throwing out romaine, since they both worked at jobs that could take them out of town for a few days with little notice. As a visitor, I noticed this, and was put in the position of remaining a few days to take care of my granddaughter. There sat the romaine, ready for a wilting death in the fridge.

I washed it well in cold water, broke off the core at the bottom, lined a large plastic container with paper towel, and layered romaine leaves and paper towel, hoping it would keep a few days. I was very surprised that if you kept the top tightly shut, it would keep up to three weeks, and be just as crisp and green and crunchy as when it was newly purchased!

As my daughter likes to say,"Who Knew?" This really works!

By Debbie from Nova Scotia

I agree...a paper towel is great! I do the same with with many things. I put one in the bottom of the bag that stores celery, and loosely wrap herbs such as parsley and rosemary. It definitely prolongs their life.

Anonymous

I've been doing this with lettuce for years but just recently tried it with alfalfa sprouts and bean sprouts (because they always get mushy so quickly) and it works great with them, too !!! Kept the bean sprouts crunchy for a tad over a week and the alfalfa for about two weeks! I found they last longer layed in a plastic container rather then their original packaging though :-)

I buy the "green bags" sold in drugstores, Walmart & Kmart, etc. They are re-usable after a simple (non-soap) rinse & air dry many times. Directions are on the pkg. but I take an extra step & wrap the produce, fruit in paper towels then put in green bag, fold down top & close with a clothes pin. These bags are a produce saver; saved my throwing out produce many many times over & saving money. I highly recommend them.

I've done this for years also. I wrap everything in PT's, radishes, broccoli, cabbage, celery, green onions, asparagus, just about anything. As soon as I buy but before I wash except lettuce. Even half used cucumbers, peppers get wrapped. Then I put them in ziplock bags which can be re-used. I also line my crisper drawers with a cotton kitchen towel.

Save the paper towels. As soon as I get the lettuce home, I tear it up into bite size pieces, rinse and spin in a salad spinner, then store it in the fridge in a large plastic bowl with a tight fitting plastic lid. The lettuce will keep for two weeks. Every time I want a salad I just reach in the bowl and take out as much lettuce as I want, add what ever else I want to make it a salad and eat it.