Using Old Newspapers

I would like to know what to do with old newspapers besides recycling. Thanks!

Cindy from WV

Cover garden beds with several layers of newspaper as mulch. Spread out papers after planting, and wet down. Rototill under in the fall. Tear paper in strips or run through a shredder, and use to line small animal's cages. I have used shredded paper for guinea pigs and hamsters.

Use torn or shredded paper to fill your cat box instead of litter. Use torn or shredded paper to pack breakables for moving or mailing.

You can see many old posts about using newspapers next to your question right here. But (1)let me remind you that newspaper is VERY absorbant - so it's great for mopping up any kind of spill or wetness. (Just be careful of the ink on light colored linoleum, etc., it might leave marks on it- so I use a bottom layer of paper towels.) I use it in the bathroom - in the kitchen and lots of other places. (2) Newspaper is also a good insulator - I have seen old-fashioned tips saying you could use it to bulk up your blankets, etc. or put beneath carpets on drafty floors. (3) Newspaper is great for cleaning glass & mirrors - doesn't leave streaks. (4) Newspaper is supposed to be good in the garden for mulch. (5) Wrap flowers up in it - or anything else. (6) Use for filler when packing. (7) Make a roll of it and put it in your boots to keep the upright (& dry them off.) (8) I use it on the boat as a table cloth of sorts. EZ to throw away. (9) I am told people make tables, etc. out of newspaper rolls...(10) READ the paper for news & ideas! Support your local newspaper thru bad times.

You can use it for Paper mache. Use sunday comics for wrapping gifts

Roll it up and whack a spider or fly. Roll one up for a fire starter log when camping. Mask off items when painting. Put out words and glue to another piece of paper for a ransom letter (ok maybe not that)

Our local Animal hospital and Pound appreciates donations of bundles of newspapers. They use them for waste purposes. You might call before dropping off, though. (They also use old blankets and towels.)

I used to do a lot of papier mache ( I hope that's spelled correctly). I made a Frankenstein monster for Halloween one year, and none of the smaller trick-or-treaters would walk past him.

I know animal shelters that use these to line the animal cages. You could check with the shelters in your area to see if they could use them.

The other answer just about covered it all! The only other thing i can add is you can use it for art/crafts projects. It's the main thing you use when making paper mache sculptures. Ask your local art teachers if they need the paper to cover their tables for when the kids paint or to use for paper mache. I was an art teacher and I loved parents to bring me free supplies. You can save your paper towel tubes and toilet paper tubes for art teachers too! Kids love using those! And egg cartons and coffee cans, etc......what a great question.

-Lee in FL

My local Goodwill takes old newspapers. They use them to wrap glass products that they sell.

Call your local humane society. They always need newspapers. I give mine to my Vet. He uses them for his cages too.

Mulch! I read about this in a book and I am planning on doing it. You tear it into strips (or not, I doubt it matters) and then wet it. Put it around your plants then it will deter weeds AND decompress and enrich the soil.

: )

Make garden without removing grass.

We made a 30x20 foot garden in our back yard with plastic and cement blocks. You do not have to remove grass. Put down plastic or a thick layer of news papers, and place cement blocks on top around the edge of the space. Then, fill it with compost or manure. You have a garden without weeds or grass for years. Add more compost as needed every year. I get manure from Lowe's in 40 pound bags, I have a garden all the year, I also make flower beds the same way,good luck.

I can't remember the name of the book but the library might have it but you can make furniture out of it. There's tables, chairs and bookcases.

I am making fireplace logs with my newspapers. Haven't burned one yet, but will tonight (28)brrr! Layer the newspaper with folds going one way then the other -- roll as tight as you can then "thread" through a tuna can, or any empty tin can you can take both ends off of. Then you wet it thoroughly; (I put it in the kitchen sink with the dishwater before I drain the sink) then let it dry thoroughly and then use it as a log in your fireplace. Just be sure to let the can cool completely before removing it from the ashes. Good luck!

You could contact a school where they do some kind of arts and crafts and see if the art teachers need supplies like this. Or, maybe the Boys and Girls Club? Do you have any friends that have animals (gerbils, hamsters, birds) in cages? They may be able to use newspaper. I hear that a spray cleaner with alcohol, dish soap, and water is an environmentally way to clean mirror and windows when you use newspaper instead of paper towels. You could use it pack or wrap presents for birthdays, Christmas, etc. The comics section would be funny for kids or someone with a sense of humor.

Newspapers are actually used in Japan to absorb grease from fried foods. They are cheaper than paper towels and are actually quite sanitary. It used to be a First aid step to wrap the legs of a woman giving birth with newspaper. The ink has some kind of bacterial killer in it.

We use old telephone books the same way. Tear off the front cover and put hot pans on the pages. Tear off the pages like paper towels. I will admit you might have to scrunch the paper first, but they will soak up quite a bit of liquid. By the time you get to the bottom, let us hope the city has given you a new telephone directory.

I have a question about using paper shreds in the compost. What size should the paper clippings be? I do post an <a href="http://commercial-paper-shredder-in ... dding-and-green-gardening-practices/ blog entry</a> about it, but have yet to find out if its cool to use a crosscut paper shredder, or if I should go with the <a href="http://www.fellowes.com/Fellowes/si ... ategory.aspx?Name=DESKSIDE_SHREDDERS strip cut shredder</a>?

Thanks.

Consumer Advice General AdviceFebruary 26, 2009
computer printer
Finding Printable Coupons
Online Coupon Computer
Using Online Coupons
Uses for Newsprint
Uses for Newsprint
Ring of old keys.
Uses for Old Keys
🎄
🍂