Cleaning Wax from Clothing

The dyes and oils from candle wax (or other waxes) can leave stains on your clothing that can be tough to remove. This is a guide about cleaning wax from clothing.

A green candle that is burning.
Filter Sort

Question: Cleaning Wax Off of Clothing

I was having my nails done and the lady spilled wax all over my pants and shirt. How can I remove it without ruining my clothes?
Thanks.

By p

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Nancy 6 37 Flag

If it's dry-cleanable, that will do the trick.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Wax Off Clothing

By Emily 2

I need to know how to get wax off of my dress. I need it for a wedding. It's just a small little bit of wax. Please help.

By Emily from Grindrod, BC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lucy 49 25 Flag

Put a piece of brown paper (or a brown envelope) on the wax and iron over the paper - the wax comes away on the paper. It works brilliantly - I've done this many, many times!

Lucy

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Wax on a North Face Jacket

By Audra Davis 1

I splashed hot wax on my North Face fleece. It landed mostly on the nylon part. What do I do?

Audra from Lake City

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By pam munro 522 790 Flag

You can usually get rid of wax by scraping off as much as you can and then using a press cloth of paper towels and iron the residue with a very low iron. In the end you be left with a grease spot which should respond to spot remover for oily stains.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Removing Wax or Crayon from Clothes

By Ziggyziggy 1 1

Heat an iron. Damp a face cloth. Put the face cloth on the item of clothing with the crayon or wax to be removed. Place the hot iron on the damp face cloth and move around for 30 seconds until wax or crayon is removed.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Candle Wax Stains on Clothing

By Rob French 2

How do you get a candle wax stain out of clothing?

By Rob F. from Brookfield, WI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sara 1 Flag

I used the blow dryer, and it burnt my skirt. The wax is still there, and, Now I have a huge hole in my gorgeous skirt. :/

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Candle Wax from Clothing

By debra_mott 3

How do you remove candle wax from a sweatshirt?

By Debbie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Irene Saltsgaver 12 Flag

To remove candle wax from carpet, use a paper towel over the wax and a warm iron to melt the wax up into the paper towel. Use a fresh paper towel until the wax is gone. You might try this

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: How To Remove Wax From A Berghaus Jacket?

By chez 1

The Berghaus jacket is black. It's material : shell is nylon shell 100% with a polyurethane coating. Please help as it cost a lot of money.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By LuvMyGingerKids 46 316 Flag

If it's an expensive jacket, I would suggest you take it to a professional cleaner. =)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Turtle Wax Stains on Clothing

How do you remove turtle wax stains from clothing?

Daphne from Toronto, ON

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Here at the Turtle Wax help line, we recommend washing the clothes a few times (3 is a good number) to remove as much turtle wax as possible. Then, place rubbing alcohol on the remaining turtle wax and wash the garment again.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Red Wax from Clothing

How do you get red wax out of a cotton blouse?

By Carol A from Cleveland, MS

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Wax from Clothing

I got wax on a pair of pants and it dried before I found it. I put stain removal product on it and washed in cold water. After washing it is still there. What do I do? How do I get this out?

By Cindy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Soy candle wax got on my cotton t-shirt, how do I get it out?

By Cassie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Candle Wax From Clothing

By Jacqui Zollner 1

Hot wax spilled on my favorite black shirt. How do I get it out?

By Jacqui from NJ

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Removing Dried Candle Wax From Cotton Shirt

How do I get dried, dripped candle wax off my cotton chenille shirt?

Gardon

Answers:

RE: Removing Dired Candle Wax From Cotton Shirt

Put plenty of tissue paper or similar on your ironing board, then place the shirt wax side down on it. With the tip of your iron, you should be able to melt the wax from the shirt onto the paper. (11/19/2004)

By cheeseeatingsurrendermonkey

RE: Removing Dried Candle Wax From Cotton Shirt

Try using a hair dryer on high heat. First, make sure you put a white rag/towel or wad of paper towels under the wax area. Then as it melts it will soak it up. BLOT- do not rub the stain and continue to do so until all the melted wax is gone. If it leaves a greasy stain, apply corn starch and let it sit a while to soak it up. You may have to do this more than once. Then, Apply Zout/ Shout or some other stain remover and wash. Do not dry in the dryer until you are sure the stain is out! Heat sets stains and you will never get it out! If it is a REAL favorite shirt, just take it to the cleaners and don't do anything your self! (11/20/2004)

By Caima

Try boiling water and then a little soap. It works fine for linen. (01/02/2005)

By Terry

To remove candle wax, get the shirt damp and rub the spot. That should get it off. DO NOT DRY THE SHIRT. (01/20/2006)

By Donna D.

Place a clean towel or piece of paper towel on the wax and iron over it with the iron on a low setting. Or you could use a hairdryer to heat the wax and transfer it to the towel. The Spray and Wash shouldn't matter. Then wash .. If there is still color left over after you wash it (check before it goes in the dryer) use a bit of Dawn dish soap or try the Spray and Wash.
    (02/26/2006)

By Madelynnsmama

OH!! Thanks to al of u who have removed wax. I liked Terry's idea the best, with the bioling water. I have a nice tablecloth, and my grandaughter (4) thought there was just too much wax in the holder. (10/15/2006)

By Laurie

Archive: Removing Candle Wax From Clothing

How do you get candle wax off of a shirt?

Terre from Culpeper, VA

Answers:

RE: Removing Candle Wax From Clothing

It's been a long time, but I think you just lay some newspaper or butcher paper down on the ironing board and lay your waxy shirt on top of that. As you iron the shirt, the heat from the iron melts the wax into the newspaper. Ta da! However, there's probably still a stain of some sort which a regular household stain remover will probably take off.

Good luck! (07/04/2007)

By Tia

RE: Removing Candle Wax From Clothing

My mom would always take an Iron to it with a brown paper bag (or wax paper both will absorb the wax.) Place over and under garment were the wax is on Med heat until it is all absorbed onto the paper. (07/04/2007)

By Kenocasino

RE: Removing Candle Wax From Clothing

I've used this process several times. Put the garment in the freezer until the wax is frozen. Remove from freezer and flake off as much as possible with a table knife or other flat bladed item. Then flush that area with boiling water or as hot of water as the garment can withstand. I'd then use the iron for any remaining residue. Hope this works for you. (07/05/2007)

By lazy95326

RE: Removing Candle Wax From Clothing

That's what I was going to suggest as well.

Here's another suggestion from a household hint website.

Set your iron on the "warm" setting or the lowest setting. Let the iron get warm. Take a couple of sheets of paper towel and put them on the ironing board. Take the fabric with the wax stain, and place the stain over the paper towels. Place additional paper towels over the stain. Then press the iron on the spot. Do not move the iron back and forth, but just set it down, leave it for a moment, and lift it up. Check the paper towels to see if any wax has been absorbed. If some of the wax has been asborbed, move the paper towels to a clean spot and do the same thing again until the wax is removed. You are going to melt the wax and transfer it onto the paper towels. Be careful not to "iron the wax on the paper towels" back onto the fabric, if you have to repeat the wax transfer treatment. (07/05/2007)

By Carole OR

RE: Removing Candle Wax From Clothing

You could also pop it in the freezer and then peel off as much wax as you can before ironing. Especially if it is colored wax you want to get as much out as possible before you heat it with an iron. (07/06/2007)

By Sheraone

Archive: Candle Wax Stains on Clothing

I knocked over a red candle (a whole lot of wax!) on my white Hollister shirt (100% cotton) can any1 help save my shirt!

Tyler from Kentucky

Answers:

RE: Candle Wax Stains on Clothing

I used to work detailing cars and used a liquid degreaser to totally remove melted crayons from light colored upholstery. Try Penzoil degreaser from any Walmart or auto supply place. Put some in a spray bottle and spray on the cloth rub it in and keep rubbing it with a clean rag. Keep turning the rag so you are blotting what the liquid is dissolving. Wax is grease and this dissolves grease. hope this helps, nancy (01/23/2007)

By nancy

RE: Candle Wax Stains on Clothing

The best idea is the wax paper with the iron. I have done it that way with no problems. If it is a lot of wax you might have to change the wax paper and repeat the steps, but this really works. (01/24/2007)

By Joyce

RE: Candle Wax Stains on Clothing

If the stain is wet, get the wax wet and rub it with the tip of your finger nail. At least it worked for me (08/19/2007)

By miss america

RE: Candle Wax Stains on Clothing

I tried the tip with the hair dryer. The results are phenomenal! The candle wax stain came of in no time! (10/10/2007)

By Genesis

Candle wax dripped onto my new jeans. How do I remove it?

Michelle from Fergus, ON

Answers:

RE: Removing Candle Wax From Clothing

I do a bit of all of the above, and then a bit more for really stubborn wax or oil stains.
    First, I freeze it and pick off as much as I can (this bit is only for wax and chewing gum).
    Second, I place brown paper on either side of the stain and iron one temperature higher than the garment can take, through the paper of course, until the stain is either gone, or as gone as it is going to get with that method.
    Third, I squirt a small amount of dish washing liquid on the stain and rub it in, then pop the garment in the washing machine for a normal wash.
    I have never had to throw a garment away because of wax, oil, or chewing gum stains using these methods. (07/16/2007)

By dragonsue

Archive: Candle Wax Stains on Clothing

How do you get candle wax out of a cotton shirt? I ironed the wax out with a paper bag. It appeared to be out so I washed it. It still appeared to be out so I dried it a little, but took it out after about 5 minutes. It's still there. Have I ruined my shirt?

Rhonda from Edmond, OK

Feedback:

RE: Candle Wax Stains on Clothing

Had blue candle wax spill all over my son's brand new cotton plaid shirt in about 5 different areas. I heard not to use the iron with blue (non-white) wax as it may set the stain. First, I scraped off as much as I could with a knife. Then threw the shirt in the freezer for an hour and scraped more off.

Then I used a blow dryer to heat up and melt the wax, blotting with paper towels. (It's a pain because the paper towels blow away). Then I soaped it up with a Dawn-like soap (we live in Central America and have this soap called Axion which takes grease off) and with a toothbrush and hot water scrubbed and scrubbed. Rinsed, soaped and scrubbed more. Then put whole shirt in warm water with the soap. Just rinsed it out and it looks like it all came out, wax and stains.
    The trick is to keep at it. (05/15/2008)

By Margo

RE: Candle Wax Stains on Clothing

(Sent in by Email)
    As I was going thru your answers on how to get candle wax out, I happened to remember what I had read in a magazine on the subject.
    My wax left a deep red color on a new and expensive tablecloth. I went to my husband's tool closet and got the WD 40 and sprayed it. Some spots required twice, but it disappeared. After washing, it was good as new.
    (07/28/2008)

By ThriftyFun

RE: Candle Wax Stains on Clothing

Use a blow dryer it comes right off. (08/12/2008)

By kyyiy

RE: Candle Wax Stains on Clothing

Most of the remedies for wax spills on clothing, carpets, etc. work well, especially using ice paks to harden the wax, then scrapping the wax off. However, I suggest that we all start using Soy candles in the future. They are environmentally pure, safer, and easier to clean up stains. (12/25/2008)

By Lou B.

I just splashed candle wax all over my brand new cotton shirt. My shirt has gold hearts and stars on the front, kind of like decals, or whatever they are called. Can someone help me save it without removing the decorative hearts and stars?

Jam

Feedback:

RE: Removing Candle Wax From Clothing

Your ice, clean, then paper bag and iron worked great. Thanks to all of you. The paper towel was too thin though. (02/14/2009)

By nanack

How do you remove candle wax from a pair of jeans? I scraped what I could off then washed it, but it's still there.

By Cowgirl from Conroe, TX

Feedback:

RE: Removing Candle Wax From Clothing

I have done this with great success:

Place several layers of paper towel over the wax and use a medium iron to melt and remove the wax. The paper towel will draw the wax upward into itself, so make sure you have separated the front from the back of the shirt so you don't spread the melting wax downward. Change the paper towels as needed and make sure your iron is cleaned off when you are done.

I don't know if you are dealing with color issues (i.e. red wax on white), so the wax may come out, but the dye may leave a stain. After the wax is out I would try a trusted non-bleach treatment, but until the wax is out the red will remain. Good luck! (12/31/2009)

By cherbear49908

RE: Removing Candle Wax From Clothing

Try putting an old t-shirt over the wax spot and ironing with a hot dry iron on the shirt. It should pull some of the wax up into the shirt. Repeat. (01/01/2010)

By PIKKA

How do you remove candle wax from a tee shirt?

Thank you.

By Florence Gail from Indianapolis, IN

Feedback:

RE: Removing Candle Wax From Clothing

Pour hot water on places that have wax, from inside out (the back side of the wax stain). (07/29/2010)

By melanie_43000

Home and Garden Cleaning ClothingSeptember 15, 2011
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Star shaped glass candle holder.
    Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
    girl with braces
    Removing Braces Wax Stains
    candle
    Cleaning Candle Wax from Upholstery
    sweat stain on dark clothing
    Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 8:39:41 AM on 10.0.0.236 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings