Cleaning Wax from Clothing

The dyes and oils from candle wax (or other waxes) can leave stains on your clothing that can be tough to remove. This is a guide about cleaning wax from clothing.

A green candle that is burning.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Heat an iron. Damp a face cloth. Put the face cloth on the item of clothing with the crayon or wax to be removed. Place the hot iron on the damp face cloth and move around for 30 seconds until wax or crayon is removed.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I was having my nails done and the lady spilled wax all over my pants and shirt. How can I remove it without ruining my clothes?
    Thanks.

By p

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If it's dry-cleanable, that will do the trick.

Read More Answers...

I need to know how to get wax off of my dress. I need it for a wedding. It's just a small little bit of wax. Please help.

By Emily from Grindrod, BC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Put a piece of brown paper (or a brown envelope) on the wax and iron over the paper - the wax comes away on the paper. It works brilliantly - I've done this many, many times!

Lucy

Read More Answers...

How do you remove candle wax from a sweatshirt?

By Debbie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To remove candle wax from carpet, use a paper towel over the wax and a warm iron to melt the wax up into the paper towel. Use a fresh paper towel until the wax is gone. You might try this

I splashed hot wax on my North Face fleece. It landed mostly on the nylon part. What do I do?

Audra from Lake City

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can usually get rid of wax by scraping off as much as you can and then using a press cloth of paper towels and iron the residue with a very low iron. In the end you be left with a grease spot which should respond to spot remover for oily stains.

Read More Answers...

How do you get a candle wax stain out of clothing?

By Rob F. from Brookfield, WI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used the blow dryer, and it burnt my skirt. The wax is still there, and, Now I have a huge hole in my gorgeous skirt. :/

Read More Answers...

The Berghaus jacket is black. It's material : shell is nylon shell 100% with a polyurethane coating. Please help as it cost a lot of money.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If it's an expensive jacket, I would suggest you take it to a professional cleaner. =)

How do you remove turtle wax stains from clothing?

Daphne from Toronto, ON

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here at the Turtle Wax help line, we recommend washing the clothes a few times (3 is a good number) to remove as much turtle wax as possible. Then, place rubbing alcohol on the remaining turtle wax and wash the garment again.

How do you remove candle wax from a tee shirt?

Thank you.

By Florence Gail from Indianapolis, IN

Answers:

Removing Candle Wax From Clothing

Pour hot water on places that have wax, from inside out (the back side of the wax stain). (07/29/2010)

By melanie_43000

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you remove candle wax from a pair of jeans? I scraped what I could off then washed it, but it's still there.

By Cowgirl from Conroe, TX

Answers:

Removing Candle Wax From Clothing

I have done this with great success:

Place several layers of paper towel over the wax and use a medium iron to melt and remove the wax. The paper towel will draw the wax upward into itself, so make sure you have separated the front from the back of the shirt so you don't spread the melting wax downward. Change the paper towels as needed and make sure your iron is cleaned off when you are done.

I don't know if you are dealing with color issues (i.e. red wax on white), so the wax may come out, but the dye may leave a stain. After the wax is out I would try a trusted non-bleach treatment, but until the wax is out the red will remain. Good luck! (12/31/2009)

By cherbear49908

Removing Candle Wax From Clothing

Try putting an old t-shirt over the wax spot and ironing with a hot dry iron on the shirt. It should pull some of the wax up into the shirt. Repeat. (01/01/2010)

By PIKKA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just splashed candle wax all over my brand new cotton shirt. My shirt has gold hearts and stars on the front, kind of like decals, or whatever they are called. Can someone help me save it without removing the decorative hearts and stars?

Jam

Answers:

Removing Candle Wax From Clothing

Your ice, clean, then paper bag and iron worked great. Thanks to all of you. The paper towel was too thin though. (02/14/2009)

By nanack

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you get candle wax out of a cotton shirt? I ironed the wax out with a paper bag. It appeared to be out so I washed it. It still appeared to be out so I dried it a little, but took it out after about 5 minutes. It's still there. Have I ruined my shirt?

Rhonda from Edmond, OK

Answers:

Candle Wax Stains on Clothing

Had blue candle wax spill all over my son's brand new cotton plaid shirt in about 5 different areas. I heard not to use the iron with blue (non-white) wax as it may set the stain. First, I scraped off as much as I could with a knife. Then threw the shirt in the freezer for an hour and scraped more off.

Then I used a blow dryer to heat up and melt the wax, blotting with paper towels. (It's a pain because the paper towels blow away). Then I soaped it up with a Dawn-like soap (we live in Central America and have this soap called Axion which takes grease off) and with a toothbrush and hot water scrubbed and scrubbed. Rinsed, soaped and scrubbed more. Then put whole shirt in warm water with the soap. Just rinsed it out and it looks like it all came out, wax and stains.
    The trick is to keep at it. (05/15/2008)

By Margo

Candle Wax Stains on Clothing

(Sent in by Email)
    As I was going thru your answers on how to get candle wax out, I happened to remember what I had read in a magazine on the subject.
    My wax left a deep red color on a new and expensive tablecloth. I went to my husband's tool closet and got the WD 40 and sprayed it. Some spots required twice, but it disappeared. After washing, it was good as new.
    (07/28/2008)

By ThriftyFun

Candle Wax Stains on Clothing

Use a blow dryer it comes right off. (08/12/2008)

By kyyiy

Candle Wax Stains on Clothing

Most of the remedies for wax spills on clothing, carpets, etc. work well, especially using ice paks to harden the wax, then scrapping the wax off. However, I suggest that we all start using Soy candles in the future. They are environmentally pure, safer, and easier to clean up stains. (12/25/2008)

By Lou B.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
    CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Home and Garden Cleaning ClothingSeptember 15, 2011
    Star shaped glass candle holder.
    Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
    girl with braces
    Removing Braces Wax Stains
    candle
    Cleaning Candle Wax from Upholstery
    Using Leftover Candle Wax, Melted Candles
    Using Leftover Candle Wax
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 27, 2016 at 2:06:36 PM on 10.0.1.165 in 662 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.