Vinyl Record Bowl

I have tons of vinyl records; I need information on how to craft a bowl.

Thanks. Cindy

By Cindy from Dallas, TX

Best Answer

I saw this on TV,

Here's the basics:

1) Line your oven's rack with aluminum foil

2) Lay record on top of a fairly large glass, ceramic, or stainless bowl and place in a cold oven.

3) Turn oven to lowest setting and keep watch on the record. Do not leave record in oven for more that 2 minutes. After 1 or 2 minutes record will be playable.

4) After the recod s playble. Remove record and bowl from oven with oven mitts.

5) Take a second smaller bowl that will easily fit inside of the bottom bowl (above) put this bowl on TOP of the record. Use this bowl to push the record down inside of the bottom bowl.

Note. You can also use your oven mitt to push the record down into the glass bowl, and quickly arrange the folds (or "ruffles") of vinyl then put the smaller bowl inside to make a more round shape.

* If you did not work quickly enough, simply return vinyl record to oven for about 1 minute & start over again.

* Records should not be used to serve food without lining then with plastic wrap or you can place the top glass bowl inside the record and use that to serve in.

* If your record tends to stick, spray bottom bowl with Pam, then wash the Pam off with dawn dish soap after your record bowl is complete.

Best Answer

I used to make vinyl record bowls, but I only used a bowl under the vinyl to get the size I wanted. I used oven mitts and free-formed the ruffles, with some having one side higher than the other, or one side more upright.

Using the free-form shapes allowed me to do floral arrangements in some of them. I can't remember how I colored them, or if I even did color them. It was some time ago when my kids were little (the youngest is now 53).

Be careful to work with a lot of ventilation! The process releases very toxic fumes. I also wouldn't do this if you are pregnant or have a compromised immune system. Good luck.

Here is a Youtube video: I have made tons of them.

A bowl made with an old vinyl record.
Making a Vinyl Record Bowl
Crafts Recycled Crafts OtherJanuary 23, 2010
Bowl made from a black vinyl record
Using Vinyl Record Bowls For Food
Making a Recycled Vinyl Record Tablet Holder
Cleaning a Vinyl Record
Cleaning Vinyl Records