Making Beer Can Chicken

I made beer can chicken on propane barby yesterday. It was very moist and tender however the taste was the same as regular chicken without the beer. Any tips for the next time?

Sharon L Martin from Canada

You can put your favorite seasonings inside the beer...I am big on italian seasoning and some garlic; or you can throw in a spicy red pepper base. Rub some on the outside of the bird, also, so the flavor is all over.

Did you season it? Put a onion or apple in the neck? These make the favor! I like to spray it and roll in Pappy's seasoning, Butter garlic/pepper, teriaki & pineapple is great too. There are many more to try.

Jennifer CA

I don't think the beer actually does any flavoring so you'll have to toss on whatever you want for seasoning. As far as I recall, the beer acts more as a tenderizer and makes the chicken really moist. You'll want a rub mixed with a little olive oil and slathered all over the chicken. You can either use a premade rub mix such as McCormick Grillmates, or Mrs. Dash blends or better yet, frugally mix up your own version. Here's one I really like for roasting that will work:

Sticky Chicken Seasoning

4 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons paprika

1 teaspoon onion powder

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1 teaspoon white pepper

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix together with a little olive oil to make a thick paste and rub away!

I fill the neck with garlic and then season the outside with salt pepper and any other spices I like. I do taste the beer I baste the chicken while it cooks with the juice that drips into the pan, I also leave more beer in the can than most instructions say.

Hope this helps

My sister in law said this was the best chicken she ever tasted..all I did was to season my beer can chicken with:

equal amounts (I used 1 Tbs each) of:

black pepper

brown sugar

First rub the chicken in olive oil and then pack the rub on. Can't get easier than that!!

beer bread
Recipes Using Beer
Food and Recipes Recipes PoultryAugust 12, 2006
Making Ginger Beer
Making Ginger Beer
Glass of stout with hops scattered in foreground and keg in backgroung.
Storing Beer
A loaf of freshly baked homemade bread.
Beer Bread Recipes
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume