Craft Project: Felt Baby Booties
How about making a special pair of booties for that special baby? They are sure to become a keepsake.
Approximate Time: 2 hours
- good grade of felt in two colors
- fusible web
- thread and needle
- floss to match
- 2 snaps or Velcro dots
- optional cord or ribbon
- Print out the pattern pieces. For one pair of booties trace the following onto the fusible web reversing one full set of the cuffs for each bootie: two main body pieces, two toe pieces, two soles, and four 1 by 4 inch strips.
- Cut out your fusible web pieces outside the lines and fuse to the felt according to the following directions:
- In my finished bootie color 1 is black and color 2 is gold. Fuse one color 1 to one color 2 for the main body; do the same for both cuffs. You will have two main bodies with one color on one side and the other color on the other side. You will have four cuffs two of each pattern piece with color number 1 on one side and color number 2 on the other side. Refer to the picture if you need to. Cut out your fused pieces.
You might want to cut one of your main body pieces out with pinking shears for a decorative touch.
- You now need to decide which is going to be your outside color. I used both colors for the sole also, that way I could put it on whichever way I decided. Fuse the toe piece to the outside color of both main body pieces. Do your decorative stitching around the toe.
- Bring the two straight edges together forming the shoe; sew the edges with either a machine or by hand. Fold the sole in half lengthwise and mark with a pin at both ends; pin to the main body and stitch together using a blanket stitch or whip stitch which ever you are comfortable with.
- Fuse one of your small strips of web between your cuff sets; you should have two shorter cuffs and two longer cuffs with color number 1 on one side and color number 2 on the other. Starting at the top back of the shoe stitch the shorter cuff to the outside of the shoe, lining up the top edge and doing a blanket stitch until the main body starts its curve down. Repeat for the longer cuff on the other side. Repeat for the other bootie.
- You can either put a snap set under the front ends of the cuffs or Velcro. I fashioned a sort of frog for mine. Feel free to experiment until you come up with something you like.
By Ann from Loup City, NE
Read feedback for this post below.
Click here to post feedback.
These are adorable; thanks for sharing.
I have seen these in several kits, but this is the simplest! Great job and thanks for sharing!
Great Job and sooooo darn cute. Sure will be soft for baby feet!
Those are lovely, Thanks for putting them on TF.
These are so cute and seem easy enough to make.
Thanks for sharing.
Add your voice to the conversation.