ChristmasCookies

Nut Roll Cookies

Our local newspaper runs really good recipes. This issue has cookies that sound so good. The readership is small, and these recipes should be shared.

This recipe is very exciting for me. I have been looking for it for years! My Mother used to make these, and called them Frozen Donut Horns. They are the best cookies ever! I can remember helping her with them every year. The pasty is flaky and so good, and the filling is crunchy and chewy and amazing. I can recommend these very, very highly!

• 5 cups flour
  • pinch salt
  • 1/2 stick butter, soft
  • 1 can evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)
  • 5 egg yolks, beaten
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 large cake of yeast

Nut filling:

• 2 1/2 cups ground walnuts
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 5 egg whites, beaten until stiff peaks form

Directions:

Mix flour, salt, and sugar together in a large bowl, then add butter and mix well until blended well. Crumble the yeast into the milk until yeast is dissolved, then add to the flour mixture with egg yolks until well blended. Refrigerate dough, well covered, overnight. (this allows the yeast to develop slowly, which makes the dough more flavorful and makes the dough a lot easier to handle.

Divide the dough into 6 equal parts and keep refrigerated. Beat the eggs for the nut filling and combine all the ingredients. Leaving the other dough refrigerated, roll out each part on a surface dusted with powdered sugar (my Mother's trick, the newspaper recipe uses flour) into a thin circle and cut it into wedges, like a pizza. Place a spoonful of nut filling on the biggest part of the triangle and roll up just like a crescent. Bake in a preheated, 350 degree F oven for 35-45 minutes, until golden brown.

In addition to, or instead of, the nut filling, you can use 5 cans of poppy seed filling, prune filling, or an other thick fruit filling - or a variety. These are just wonderful cookies!

Source: Gloria Pleva Kacik with the "Royalton Recorder" of North Royalton, OH

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

Top Comment

Cut the butter in until it's like coarse corn meal. The evaporated milk and egg yolks add the needed moisture. I would say that this recipe should make between 36 and 48 cookies when prepared in this way. You make 6 circles of dough, and cut each circle like a pizza for 6 to 8 pieces.

My mother and I did not roll the dough out this way. We split the dough into 4 portions and left the dough we weren't working with in the fridge - an essential step. Then we broke off pieces of dough about the size of a small walnut - in the shell, and rolled out each piece into a circle. We would put a spoon of filling on each circle, and roll it up to look like a crescent roll. I can see that cutting it like a pizza would be a lot less work.

Top Comment

You can use a package of yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons of loose yeast dissolved in a tablespoon of warm water. The milk and egg yolks also add extra fat. My grandmother made these when I was growing up. I loved the yeast taste. She also made the same thing with pie dough.

Top Comment

I made these for Christmas, and the dry yeast worked just fine. In fact, I found another recipe made with sour cream in the dough, and it worked in that recipe too. I had 14 dozen when all was said and done, and everyone I gave them to loved them. I also made Ranger cookies, a recipe I see quite often, but instead of adding cornflakes, I added Raisin Bran, and I added a bag of chocolate chips. I omitted the nuts. They were so good! The chocolate chips do kind of overwhelm the taste of the coconut though, so next time I'll make with and without the chips.

These sure look good and may try them next week!

(note - my late husband is the only person I know that used the word " copasetic" - your screen name!)

Kedi (from Parma, OH)

I have never heard of a cookie recipe that takes cake yeast. I don't suppose there is any way of substituting regular yeast?

It's hard to find cake yeast now, so I am going to use the yeast I have on hand, an equivalent amount of dry yeast. I have quick yeast, but refrigerating the dough will slow it down. I have used quick yeast in a refrigerated dough before with no problems at all. I hope you enjoy these.

Sorry, would like to try this recipe but not sure of how much dry yeast equals one "cake" of fresh yeast. Does anyone have any idea of the amount of this ingredient? Thank you :)

That is a lot of flour to a little bit of butter; how do they blend? To pea size?

Did anyone try the dry yeast? Did it work?