Use Safety Straps to Secure Purse While Shopping

Whenever I'm shopping, and shopping carts are available, I "strap" my purse into the child seat. Doing this allows me to shop and not have to worry about my purse being stolen.

By ptbyarspp from Lockney, TX

Good tip. I too do the same thing and have been doing so for many years. I have passed this tip onto others over the years too. Some times though the seat belts are broken in our shopping trolleys (that is what we call them in Australia) but I thread them trough the straps of my handbag anyway as I am sure the thieves do not know which straps are broken. That is my other little handy tip!

Wouldn't it be easier to put the purse strap on your shoulder? What if you turn your back from your cart for a second? Do you think a thief would car if he had to undo a cart strap while you are preoccupied? I never leave my purse anywhere except on my shoulder. I personally think to do otherwise is asking for trouble.

I do this too and still keep a eye on it.

I do this too with one addition. The loops where the handle is attached. I keep a clip attached to my keychain (the kind used to attach pet leashes). When I get out of the car I attach the clip to BOTH handle loops, bringing the two sides very close together. Then I unzip my purse and put the keychain inside and zip it back up. Then I run the child seat belt on the cart thru the handle, weaving it 2-3 times. This way if someone wants to get into my purse with my back turned, they really have to fight to get into it and before they've made any progress I have turned around, because I only ever turn my back on my purse for a few seconds.

This is a good post and a good reminder. It has however been posted before.

Even when doing this, you should still keep your eye on your purse/cart at all times.

I find that putting my cart and myself on the side of the aisle where I am looking is best rather than parking it one one side and walking to the other side. It actually ties up the aisle more to have your body and cart blocking the aisle; however if you are standing right there with your cart, another shopper can get by. It is always best to stay with your cart and your purse if you keep your purse in the cart. If someone is very fast they could just cut the baby seatbelt and be off with your purse quick as a wink.

Actually using a small cross-body purse when grocery shopping is probably safest. You really don't need to have a whole purse of things when you are doing your shopping.

I'm afraid I would not leave my purse in the cart secured or not. For grocery shopping I use a cross-body purse leaving hands free and the purse round the front.

Having worked for a major police department for years I can tell everyone that no one should ever leave their purse in a shopping cart. Even if it is secured to the cart in some manner, there is nothing to prevent some low life from taking your wallet, money, etc. NEVER, NEVER LEAVE YOUR PURSE EVEN FOR A SECOND.

I have decided I don't need my entire purse when shopping and condense my necessities; keys, debit card, coupons etc into a much smaller clutch and then tuck it inside my reusable shopping bags. I put my cell in a pocket or holster so I don't have to open the bags until check out.

My handbag stays right on my shoulder. I don't leave it for a second. If I wanted to be a thief (but I don't) I'd be successful because I see plenty of unattended bags and cell phones in stores. A thief can lift out a wallet from a bag that is strapped in.

No, the thieves won't steal your purse; but they are so "light handed" that they will get your wallet out of the purse. Best to keep your purse on your shoulder with fastener side toward your body.

I have done this for years. I also get a antibacterial wipe as I enter the store and wipe the handle and the area where my purse is going to sit in the cart. Also, be sure your purse is zipped or closed tightly for a thief can walk by and reach in and take your wallet or whatever when your head is turned even though your purse is fastened in. I show female shoppers how to do it all the time!

I now have a bad back due to an accident, so my back doesn't tolerate a purse for too long, even though I carry very little in it. That being said, if I know I am going someplace for extended shopping, such as grocery shopping or a trip to someplace like Target or Walmart where I am stocking up on household supplies.

I downsize as much as possible and either wear a crossbody bag with the necessities, or even a wristlet. If I take myself off guard and end up going without planning ahead, I strap my bag in the cart, then put the bag strap in my hand along with the cart handle. That hand never leaves the cart or the bag. If I have to reach and pick up something I will bring the cart close enough so I don't have to let go.

Alternately, if I have a carabiner clip in my bag, I will clip my bag to the seat, wrapping the handles round the bag then clipping them under the bag onto the seat, so it is difficult to reach in the bag without figuring out how I have it locked on the seat. Even then I don't turn my back on it. I prefer not to take my bag off, but if I do I always have a plan to secure it.

Man Trying to Steal Woman's Purse
Purse Safety Tips
Better Living Safety PersonalMay 29, 2009
Placemat Purse
Making a Placemat Purse
woman wearing a bra
Keeping Bra Straps from Slipping
Making a Cigar Box Purse
Making a Cigar Box Purse
Making Bra Straps Shorter
Making Bra Straps Shorter
🎄