Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Home Remedy to Strengthen Nails

What is useful for fingernails that continue to chip and split?

By Ann from Saginaw, MI

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By rachellynn06/06/2013

Fish oil! You can take the gel caps one or two a day Nd pop one open with a pin n rub onto each nail entirely everyday. The ones I take internally I also found really add shine and length to my hair as well! =] Good luck!

By Patricia Lorenz [2]10/09/2010

Ask your pharmacist to order you a bottle of two of Decolorized iodine. It is iodine without the orange stain. Put a Q-tip in the bottle and swipe each nail with it every day for a month. Then keep doing it a couple of times a week and then once a week and then a couple of times a month. It is amazing how much more healthy and strong your nails become. It is inexpensive and it works. Iodine is used to strengthen horses hooves. It works on people too.

By cdoss [10]08/16/2010

Rather than a topical solution, you may want to start taking vitamins. There are some especially formulated for nail and hair health.

By Suntydt [75]08/11/2010

My mother takes 1000mg Biotin tablets daily to help her finger nails. Biotin is also good for hair growth.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Home Remedy to Strengthen Nails

I am looking for an inexpensive home remedy to strengthen nails.

Patti from Kansas City, MO

RE: Home Remedy to Strengthen Nails

I heard that you can soak them in the gelatin, like you buy at the grocery store. Also, I was told you could soak them in iodine. Also, prenatal vitamins are good and inexpensive. Good luck and God bless.(03/04/2009)

By CBLAISDELL

RE: Home Remedy to Strengthen Nails

Take Biotin tablets. I buy a bottle in WalMart and take one a day, but some people take higher doses. It takes several months to see results, but I believe this helps. (03/04/2009)

By OliveOyl

RE: Home Remedy to Strengthen Nails

Mix equal amounts of egg white (1 egg), olive oil, and either vinegar or lemon juice. Mix them well. Insert your nails into this solution for 20 minutes. Do this every day or every other day. The solution can be saved and used several times. You will see the difference in less than a week. The acid in lemon juice will remove the shine from your nails, but they will come back and you will have very strong nails. A manicurist told me to to this and I have tried it several times. It works really good. (03/05/2009)

By Mitra

RE: Home Remedy to Strengthen Nails

What works for me is simply eating lots of gelatin in the form of jello and I also mix about a tbsp unflavoured gelatin in a large glass of juice or other liquid and drink it quickly before it gels. (03/05/2009)

By thriftmeg

RE: Home Remedy to Strengthen Nails

RE: Home Remedy to Strengthen Nails

Try calcium citrate supplements with D and additional extra vitamin D pills. (03/05/2009)

By cookwie

RE: Home Remedy to Strengthen Nails

Rather than using incomplete protein, like gelatin, just get adequate protein and calcium in your diet. (03/05/2009)

By kimhis

RE: Home Remedy to Strengthen Nails

I used to have nails that would snag and peel off in layers like nail polish. The Biotin didn't work for me. I asked a dermatologist about it and he said I wasn't taking enough and recommended 2.5 MG Biotin instead. Even that didn't work for my nails.

I happened to read Heloise Hints in a newspaper one week and her solution was white iodine. It worked a partial miracle almost immediately as within two days of using the white iodine, it appeared that the iodine had sealed my splitting nails. After several months, my nails became hard and I now actually have white tips.

When I had the soft nails, my nail tips had a clear look to them. Heloise's Hints recommended cleaning out a nail polish bottle for the white iodine and brush, and using it to paint your nails every day for a week and then only once a week. It now has been at least three years and I still marvel at how normal my nails are compared to the way they used to be. I only use the iodine once a month. (03/05/2009)

By Kathryen

RE: Home Remedy to Strengthen Nails

I have taken three 10grain capsules of gelatin every night for the last couple of years. I was taking it at the recommendation of my chiropractor, but one of the side benefits is that it will help to strengthen your nails. I buy my gelatin capsules at Wal-mart, but you should be able to buy them anywhere. (03/05/2009)

By RowdyGirl

RE: Home Remedy to Strengthen Nails

Dollar General sells a "hair, skin, nails" vitamin that truly works well, which surprised me, it has biotin and supplements needed to support those things well. If you eat fortified cereals daily, only take one, but if you aren't too tiny in size, take two. Remember that all vitamins are based upon the same sized person, usually a larger person, so we have to adjust according to our size. Also, keep in mind that if you use bleach, strong shampoos, detergents or chemicals without gloves, you will damage your nails. Do not use your nails for tools. They are intended to protect fingertips, not for the civilized to dig with them.

If you are filing them, always file downward, away from your finger, then side to side on the very edge always towards the middle. Never cut too much of the sides off, and avoid biting the nail or cuticle at all costs. Spitting nails can indicate a vitamin and/or mineral deficiency. If possible, try to buy "trace minerals" from Country Life. They're truly good. Another thought is to buy children's "Complete" and take two if you are of average size.

They work great for overall good health. Gelatin may work, but would not be best because they are from the hoofs/bones of dead animals, I am told. If not, google.com and research the origin and make a decision after doing your homework?

I would avoid soaking in iodine, because it may somehow get into your system and give you a thyroid imbalance, since the blood capillaries are in the fingers and toes. Good luck and God bless you. (03/08/2009)

By lyndagayle62

RE: Home Remedy to Strengthen Nails

Biotin, green tea, zinc, vitamin E, coconut oil, A + D Ointment, etc. When you go to your local drugstore or supermarket look at the vitamin labels. They usually tell you what they're for. Examples: Biotin is for skin, hair, and nails. Flax seed oil is for heart health. Vitamin B Complex is for metabolism. (03/13/2009)

By SustaindbyJesus

RE: Home Remedy to Strengthen Nails

I have been taking two pre-natal vitamins a day and it has worked wonders for my nails (not to mention skin and hair). They have made an amazing difference and only cost about $4 at Walmart for a two month supply. (04/22/2009)

By terilynn_29

RE: Home Remedy to Strengthen Nails

My nails got really brittle after giving birth to my son. What I did was I brought a nail file from the beauty supply store that has all kinds of different buffers on them. It cost me $2, and I used it twice a week. It gives the nail a nice shine and it helped to harden my nails. After about 2 months, my nails were as long as someone who gets them done in the salon. People ask me all the time what I do to them and when I tell them they don't believe me. $2 goes a long way when it comes to my nails. (05/10/2009)

By DarealYoshie

My fingernails are very thin and tear easily. What can I do to strengthen or thicken them?