Cleaning a Crib Mattress

My DD has a toddler bed with a crib size mattress, the kind with plastic sealed around it, and the mattress has some small tears in it. When she wet to bed some of it seeped into the mattress and now her whole room smells. Is there a way to eliminate or get rid of this smell without replacing the mattress? I don't want to purchase another mattress, as i will be replacing bed with a twin bed this summer. Thank you in advance for any and all advice on this!

jmz2005 from Illinois

On a nice, sunny day; I would take the mattress outside, and make a solution of about 1/8th bleach, 7/8ths water and put it in a spray bottle. I would spray the entire mattress with it first thing in the morning and leave it out all day to air. (Chances are, the scent is in the plastic, too....I am speaking from experience here!)

You might want to spray it again, once or twice through the day; but the sun and air are important.

Then I would put it in a mattress cover designed for crib mattresses that seals. I expect you'll be rid of the odor!

Its unlikely that you will get the odor out, since the mattress is encased in plastic. Perhaps you could discard the toddler bed now, and get just the twin mattress and place it on the floor. Get a good waterproof cover for it (try an incontinent supply company online). In the summer you can get the "big girl bed".

Save your self the time and just start her in the twin bed now, It shouldn't be to hard, my daughter has been in a twin bed since she was 19 months old. I just set box spring and mattress on the floor for the first year, have since put it on the frame and she has never fallen out of bed. We made it a big deal for her to move from crib to a big big girl bed. GOOD LUCK

I don't know if that Fabreze stuff would help. If urine has seeped inside then it may be impossible to get to where the smell is coming from. I like the idea of another....just go ahead and get the twin mattress now and put on the floor. If you go ahead and get the bed early and set up, you can buy a special thing that attaches to the bed to keep the child from falling out. Another idea is if you happen to have a blow up mattress, use that for a while on the floor. If you don't have one, they come in twin size, buy one as they are relatively cheap at discount stores such as Wal-Mart and Target. Use that as an in between bed till you get the "big girl" bed. The blow up bed can then be used for company, taking in a hotel or even camping so won't be a waste. I think they maybe run around $25. You can put regular bedding on them too and I'd suggest putting a plastic mattress pad!

If you could peek through one of the tears and see if the mattress is just a foam one, I would suggest you get yourself a pair of scissors and completely remove the plastic covering so you would be able to wash the mattress and remove the odor. A plastic sheet wrapped around the mattress could be used temporarily until you get the other bed.

Parenting Toddler and Preschooler AdviceMay 4, 2006
One side removed making the crib into a day bed for a toddler.
Alternative Uses for a Crib
Cleaning a Mattress
Cleaning a Mattress
bumper pads on stairs
Crafts and Other Uses for Crib Bumper Pads
Mattress Cover
Repairing A Plastic Mattress Cover
🎉
🎄