Toothpaste Hardened on Wall

Hope someone can offer some advice. I am attempting to clean a wall in which someone has used toothpaste as a means to hang posters. The green toothpaste has hardened like plaster and will not budge! I have tried soaking it with various cleaners and scraping (gentely) with a blade without success. Does anyone have any ideas short of having to sand it off?

Thanks for the help!
Natasha from Canada

I can not imagine toothpaste would hold a poster! Are you sure it is toothpaste?...It could be some sort of putty...You could try softening it with a hairdryer and then try scraping it off. If this takes most of the putty off, use lighter fluid to remove the residue that is left...

Have you just tried using water?

It is toothpaste, it smells minty. I have heard of people using it as filler when they damage the walls of a rental property.

Water is not softening it much, just the outter little bit (may have to really work at it over days and take it off by layers). There was a lot of toothpaste put on the wall and the poster stuck on while it was wet.. so now there are large gobs of toothpaste on the wall, some with pieces of "tupac" stuck to them :( Pretty gross.

I just use very hot water and continue to be diligent with some elbow grease and it come off.

Home and Garden Cleaning WallsNovember 17, 2005
girl brushing her teeth
Saving Money on Toothpaste
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall, Spice rack hanging on a wall.
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall
Young boy sitting on a step ladder cleaning a wall.
Homemade Wall Cleaner Recipes
Tube of toothpaste.
Removing Toothpaste Stains from Clothing