Growing Zinnia

Botanical Name:

Zinnia

Life Cycle:

annual

Planting Time:

spring

Height:

6" to 4'

Exposure:

full sun

Soil:

average to rich, well-drained soil

Hardiness:

n/a

Bloom Time:

early summer to early fall

Flower:

variety of bright colors including yellow, orange, fuchsia, red, white and pink

Foliage:

green

Propagation:

seeds

Suggested Use:

beds, borders, cut flowers, mass plantings, containers, and fillers

Growing Hints:

Sow seeds directly outdoors where you want them to grow as soon as soil has warmed up, or start seeds indoors 6 weeks before your last frost date. If starting indoors, sow seeds into individual peat pots (3" pots for tall varieties) to reduce root disturbance during transplanting. Transplant seedlings outdoors when temperatures stay above 50º F in 4 to 12 inch intervals depending on variety. Taller varieties may need to be staked.

Interesting Facts:

Now one of the most popular bedding plants, zinnias were originally grown as wildflowers native to the southwest United States, Mexico and Central America. They also attract butterflies.

my soil is dry and i sowed the zinna seeds a few weeks ago and dont see any that germinated is it because of the soil .. ??

I am wanting to know if Deer eat Zinnias?

I live in an area in the south that has alot of deer.

I grew zinnia's for 2 year's in a row and the deer never bothered them. I live on the eastern coast of North Carolina. I don't know where you live so I have no idea if you would have a problem. I also have 14 miles of woods with plenty of other things for the deer to eat so , check on the internet for your area.

We have deer that spring right over our 6' privacy fence to eat our bean plants to the ground (NO kidding!). They've never touched our zinnia.

Fair warning if you have lots of grasshoppers afoot; they love to munch just beneath the peduncle and half behead our zinnia. It's so infuriating to see the poor things here and there with their pretty heads hanging -nothing to do but clip them off. We even plant them surrounding tall ornamental grass. You'd think they'd prefer that!

Actually, I'm thinking they came for the grass (we have lots) and discovered the delicacy of the zinnia. But, being vegan, I can't bring myself to kill the hoppers, either! What a pickle! Hoping to get chickens in the spring. I'm certain they'll take care of the dirty work for me! ;>

Growing Zinnia
Growing Zinnias
Home and Garden Gardening Growing AnnualsMarch 13, 2006
Half of a honeydew melon and slices.
Growing Honeydew Melons
dark pink zinnia pillow
Making a Zinnia Throw Pillow
Sanvitalia (Creeping Zinnia)
Growing Sanvitalia (Creeping Zinnia)
Saving Zinnia Seeds
Saving Zinnia Seeds
🎉
🎄