Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

10 Ways To Reuse a Potato Chip Bag

Here are 10 ways to reuse potato chip bags.

1. At picnics or parties, use for most any food that doesn't need a lid container.
  2. Use in car trunk to store either clean or dirty rags.
  3. Use to wrap up breakables for transporting.
  4. Put babies dirty diapers, especially throwaways when you are going to use a public trash can.
  5. Use to store or carry baseballs. You can get about 12 hardballs in a large bag or 6 softballs.
  6. Use the bag to collect berries, pine cones, or any other little treasures you find on your nature walks.
  7. Use to carry your caught fish home.
  8. Use to bury your desceased pet parakeet, fish, gerbils or hamster. Just wrap them up in a bag and bury.
  9. Use as a trash bag for your vehicle.
  10. A large empty potato chip bag will make 2 one time picnic table place mats.

So don't trash your chip bag. Reuse It.

By Mr. Thrifty from Shermans Dale, PA

Recent Feedback

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By susan [5]04/02/2012

Buying things that come in excess packaging, then trying to find things to do with the packaging seems backwards to me. Why buy the chips to start with? They're horrible for your health and the packaging, that will eventually get thrown away at some time, is terrible for the environment. Eat smart and save everything. If you don't buy chips, your kids won't acquire the taste for them.

By Debbie Dzurilla [24]07/11/2006

I am old enough to remember when chips came in different packaging. I don't rightly remember the potato chip bags but definitely remember the Fritos bags were made out of what seemed like waxed paper. Probably whatever the packaging used to be, it didn't keep the product fresh as long. My husband and children really like potato chips. I like them occasionally along with a sandwich. Anyway, I've found a brand at Aldi's that is really good and a large bag is around a buck! I think the brand name is Bonanza.

By Michael Ruger [19]06/22/2006

On Number 8 being taken out
Yes it is true potato chip bags are not biodegradable but by using one which you would normally sent to the landfill or incinerator Instead to bury a small pet. you have created a reuse which say you buried your pet in a hankerchief. You have just saved your hankerchief or spare cloth Me I am a softy when it comes to burying my pets. I always try to do somethiing special. I wrapped my faithful dog SHEP up in and old jacket I use to wear. Even the goldfish I threw in all the extra feed into the grave. Plus putting that small body in an airtight bag just might keep other animals from digging it up.
Oh how I wish these containers of everything we now have were all biodegradable like the olden days.
To me this is why I am so big on reusing anything.
with each reuse of items energy and money is saved
There are probably hundreds of differant reuses of Potato chip bags. Look what you pay for those few chips inside the bag you got to try to get even somehow.
So thank JM ROSS for you concern I hope you now see my reasoning for Number 8.Bye the way I do buy potato chips sparingly. They are too pricey and have little food value
Thanks Again
Mr. Thrifty

By Julie [2]06/21/2006

I think that #8 should be taken out. The chip bag would not be biodegradable and therefore the animal would not decompose. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust!

By Debbie Dzurilla [24]06/20/2006

Wow, great ideas! The only thing I ever used an empty chip bag for was to hold messy trash or a dirty diaper. The only thing I wondered about was the greasy film that would be on the inside. I don't think I want to start washing potato chip bags!

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.