Removing Musty Smells From Leather

Mold and mildew can create strong odors when given a chance to grow. This guide is about removing musty smells from leather.

old leather bag
Filter Sort

Question: Suede Boots Smell Like Mildew

I have a pair of suede boots that smell like mildew. Does anyone know a way to get rid of this smell. Thank you for your help.

Lisa from TN

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Try stuffing your boots with wadded up newspapers...should work in 2-3 days time.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Musty Smell Out of Leather

By Christopher 1

I have a vintage leather jacket that has a musty smell on it. What can I do to remove the aroma?

By Christopher from Stuart, FL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Marie 1 34 Flag

Whatever it is with a musty smell put it in a garbage bag with lots of crumpled newspaper. Leave it in the bag for a few days. If the smell is still there when you open the bag leave it there for another couple of days, replacing the newspaper.Use a twist tie on the bag to be certain it is securely closed.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Mildew Smell on Leather

By Cilinda LeGates 1

I was sent a package and everything in it smells of mildew. Some things cannot be washed. How do I get rid of the mildew smell? The items that need treatment include a leather pocketbook and three small blankets.

Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By PENNY K 14 564 Flag

The blankets: wash repeatedly in hot water with detergent, borax or baking soda, dry in air outside where wind can blow them a little. May take 3-4 times.

You have two problems: odor, and mildew, which is causing the odor. Mildew likes dampness, so dry the items if they are damp to stop the process. Prop open with crumpled newspaper (wallet).

Other things like wallet, put in a non staining container which has plain charcoal lumps, wrapped in lots of crumpled newspaper so the charcoal won't touch the item. Put in box and close it for a month, in the garage. See how bad it is after that. If the leather is wipeable before you put them away, wipe with a paper towel or cotton ball you've wet with alcohol. You could also put baking soda in bottom of box. Perhaps lightly wrap items in newspaper sheets. I've read that newspaper itself deodorizes. White vinegar also deodorizes. Anything that can be wiped could be wiped with that, if it's not acid sensitive.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Fishy Smell from Leather Pants

By Harperdesanta1834 1

I got a pair of leather pants on Amazon. Then when I opened it, they smell like fish. What do I do to take of the smell?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Musty Smell from Leather Gloves

By patsymargaret-stephens 1

I want to keep my musty, mildewing smelly leather gloves and jacket. How I do I get the smell out of them?

By patsymargaret from Sydney, Nova Scotia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Mildew Smell in Leather Purse

By jesscuz 1

How can I get the mildew smell out of a leather purse?

By jesscuz

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsSeptember 16, 2013
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
    Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
    Must Leather Couch
    Removing Musty Smell From Leather Furniture
    Men's leather winter boots.
    Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
    An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
    Removing Ink from Leather
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:26:23 AM on 10.0.1.182 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings