Is Tuna Safe for Cats?

Is canned Tuna dangerous to feed to cats? I have heard that it can cause Kidney Damage!

Hallie from Franklin, TN

A little won't hurt, but it isn't a complete nutritious diet for a cat.

Good question! I found a stray cat which was near death due to starvation. For a few days I fed it regular cat food & the cat still seemed ready to die. I went out & bought people TUNA & within hours the cat was walking around! I didn't keep her on that diet; soon I put her on a regular cat food diet. One yr. later she's a healthy, HUGE, cat. Cats DO need the vitamins from their own food. Maybe feed people TUNA as a treat? All my cats go nuts over it!

If it is regular tuna, yes, it will harm your cat. It will deplete their supply of taurine. If you want to feed a cat tuna, get cat food tuna, it is supplemented with taurine.

Well, ladies, I've been alternating with Chef's Blend

and Tuna for about 14 years now and our kitty is fat and happy, with NO problems, ever. I buy the cheapest, and in water, since the one in oil is Soybean oil, and NOT tasty! My cat seems to prefer the tuna JUICE made from the water that drains off the tuna, so I share it with her frequently, without reservation. She gets all the nutrients she's needed

as a Persian, from the Chef's Blend dry cereal once a day, the tuna or tuna juice at night. Hope you can

believe me. Persians are particularly finicky and fragile, but this little miss is a darling with VERY healthy hair, eyes, muscles, etc. God bless you and

Merry Messiahmas. : )

---> The problem is the HIGH AMOUNT OF MERCURY in tuna fish. This can cause all kinds of nasty symptoms in cats. (also lack of Taurine & Vitamins)

---> But like anything the key is moderation. Say you're making yourself a tuna sandwich. It won't hurt to give your cat a tiny taste or a bit of it once in a while. Just don't make it a regular thing.

***** Also, because of the Mercury, TUNA IS NOT SAFE FOR SMALL CHILDREN, According to the Researchers: Do not feed tuna to children under 5 more than twice a month at the most, because of possible brain damage and other nasty things! Adults should not eat tuna more than once a week.

Our veterinarian, connected with the highly-respected U. of Penn. veterinary school and hospital, says there is an enzyme (thiaminase) in tuna that depletes vitamine B1 from the food, and can therefore cause seizures in cats. Tuna provided for human consumption should NEVER be given to cats. Only tuna specially processed for cats is safe. It is subjected to high temperatures that destroy the enzyme. See below what the SPCA says about feeding raw fish to pets:

http://www.spcadbn.org.za/feedingyourpets.php

Thank you for all your wonderful feedback, fellow cat lovers. The answer seems to fall within the concept of balance - cuz cats can become REAL tuna junkies! I have found this food called Tiki Cat Food that has a kind of tuna blend - w/ rice, ahi, crab, etc. Does anyone know about this brand?

I would greatly appreciate comments from anyone who will give me a moment.

Carolyn

I think it is all about moderation. A bit of canned tuna occasionally has not had any negative effects on my three healthy cats. I feed them a diet of dry cat food daily and maybe once a week or so I'll split a small can of tuna between the three of them. They love it and my vet says as long as their daily diet is cat food they will get a balanced diet.

I used to eat tuna, several times a week. I had a beautiful Siamese cat who begged every time I opened a can. Several years later she developed cancer and I had to have her put to sleep. They tell pregnant women to limit tuna. I often wonder if I had not given her tuna would this have happened? Now I feed my cats a good quality cat food which is certified organic, and does not contain any seafood.

Had a cat that got sick & thought poisoned. Poison Control Center told me to give the cat "tuna water"... He lived a long life!! The 2 I have now love tuna & on occasion, I split a can between them, but if you look at the info on can, it's usually high sodium which I think would affect the kidneys. Everything in moderation and the dry foods (look at label) start ingredients with corn & chicken byproducts. This cannot be good! So, I am working some better proteins into their diets. It's harder because they tend to be finicky, but mixed with tuna water, on occasion, they are adjusting!

cat eating tuna
Is Tuna Safe for Cats?
Pets CatsDecember 6, 2006
Tuna Cans
Uses for Tuna Cans
tuna macaroni salad
Tuna Macaroni Salad Recipes
Tuna Wrap
Tuna Wrap Recipes
Tuna Tetrazzini
Tuna Tetrazzini Recipes
🎄