Preventing a Flea Infestation from a New Cat

How quick can your house become infested with fleas? I have two adult cats that have never had fleas. I brought a new 3 week old kitten into my house 3 days ago and never noticed any fleas at all. Today, I noticed a few fleas and immediately gave him a bath with Johnson's Baby Shampoo and didn't notice any fleas on the towel after I dried him.

If he's been isolated in a room since the day I brought him in the house, do you think I've managed to avoid an infestation? I will get Frontline for my other 2 adult cats, but I'm really hoping my house is clear. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

By Theresa from NJ

Ditch the frontline. It is poison after all. Get dry 20 mule team borax into all carpets, rugs, furniture. Carpets, 2 cups (or more) dry sifted for average size room. Leave down 2 weeks before you vacuum. It takes 2 weeks for life cycle of egg larvae and adult. No fleas will survive in the house for over a year and a half if you don't reintroduce from the outside. Outdoor yard, fleas will freeze over winter. In spring and summer if no fleas are introduced you should be flea free. I never had to try it but I am told Sevin dust powdered into lawn areas kills fleas but has to be replaced periodically.

Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas
Pets FleasSeptember 20, 2010
My Dog is Infested With Fleas
My Dog is Infested With Fleas
Dog with a Flea Collar
Using a Flea Collar
Cat Meowing
Preventing A Cat From Meowing
Preventing Flea Bites