Preventing a Flea Infestation from a New Cat

How quick can your house become infested with fleas? I have two adult cats that have never had fleas. I brought a new 3 week old kitten into my house 3 days ago and never noticed any fleas at all. Today, I noticed a few fleas and immediately gave him a bath with Johnson's Baby Shampoo and didn't notice any fleas on the towel after I dried him.

If he's been isolated in a room since the day I brought him in the house, do you think I've managed to avoid an infestation? I will get Frontline for my other 2 adult cats, but I'm really hoping my house is clear. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

By Theresa from NJ

Answers

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Ditch the frontline. It is poison after all. Get dry 20 mule team borax into all carpets, rugs, furniture. Carpets, 2 cups (or more) dry sifted for average size room. Leave down 2 weeks before you vacuum. It takes 2 weeks for life cycle of egg larvae and adult. No fleas will survive in the house for over a year and a half if you don't reintroduce from the outside. Outdoor yard, fleas will freeze over winter. In spring and summer if no fleas are introduced you should be flea free. I never had to try it but I am told Sevin dust powdered into lawn areas kills fleas but has to be replaced periodically.

Pets FleasSeptember 20, 2010
Dog with a Flea Collar
Using a Flea Collar
Man scratching his head.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Human Hair
Cat Meowing
Preventing A Cat From Meowing
Flea
Preventing Flea Bites
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 7:32:28 AM on 10.0.0.82 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.