Sour Smelling Dishwasher

My dishwasher smells sour. I was using liquid detergent then switched to the tablets. I'm thinking the liquid might be the culprit. The smell remains.

I cleaned the gasket and the inside of the machine with vinegar and still the smell remains. The dishes come out fine and they don't smell, but the smell in the dishwasher is driving me crazy. Thanks for any input.

By Collinsmom from NJ

Answers

August 12, 2009 Flag

How do you rid a dishwasher of a sour type smell? I have tried running it empty with DW soap, but it still smells. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Barb from Deer Park, NY

Answers:

Sour Smelling Dishwasher

I use a gallon of distilled water or regular vinegar. I also use CLR cleaner, because we have a septic system that helps get rid of the odor. If you can check your hoses of your dishewasher and see if there is any food laying in the hoses.

Angie (05/15/2006)

By pauley

Sour Smelling Dishwasher

I'd try baking soda. You can use it alone or add it with your dishwasher detergent. (05/17/2006)

By Carol in PA

Sour Smelling Dishwasher

I use Citric Acid in mine, you can even run it with dishes inside, as long as there is nothing metal or glasses with a "painted" on design, it will tarnish metal and can cause the paint to come off of glassware. I had an appliance technician tell me to just use 2 tablespoons in the detergent holder and no soap. Works great. (05/17/2006)

By maziejean

Sour Smelling Dishwasher

Run the dishwasher empty with a cup of bleach or if you are more into ecology try 2 packages of unsweetened lemon Kool-Aid or 2 cups of white vinegar. (05/18/2006)

Sour Smelling Dishwasher

We have terrible water where we live and to get out the nasty smell and rust ring that will appear after time from the bad water, I use Tang. Sounds weird, but it works like a charm. Smells like citrus and removes all of the orange stain. (05/21/2006)

Sour Smelling Dishwasher

The Kool-Aid or Tang will work wonders, the cheaper brands work just as good. They both contain citric acid which was also mentioned. I also use vinegar instead of Jet-dry. Also check the bottom of the tub, sometime bigger chunks of stuff will get stuck it happened here and I was so relieved.

Good luck.

Rebekah (05/21/2006)

By Madelynnsmama

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesAugust 12, 2009
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
An open dishwasher full of clean dishes.
Fixing a Leaking Dishwasher
New Open Dishwasher
Saving Money on a Dishwasher
🎉
🎄