Moving a Washing Machine Down Stairs

I am getting ready to move to another house. I have a washer upstairs and I would like to know if you have any good ideas on how to transport the washer downstairs.

Onesummer from Georgia

Very carefully! :>)

Be sure to wedge some folded cardboard, in several places, between the tub (which can rock from side to side) and the top of the washer so that the tub is stabilized during the move. My repairman told me washers can be damaged if the tub is allowed to bounce around and move back and forth during moving.

Grandma Margie is correct about the tub. You can either use blankets or cardboard, wrapped around the exterior of the machine and with the machine turned on its side slide it down the stairs. This is a two person job, one below and one above, both with good backs to slow & stabilze the "slide".

Have done this also with a refrigerator & large sofa.

Just take your time!

:-)

D.

Well I would rent a two wheel dolly from u haul or a tool rental center.When you buy an appliance this is what they use to deliver it.The blade of the dolly slides under the washer.Strap the machine to the dolly and then tilt it back so the machine is balanced on the dolly.Then wheel it where ever you want to go up stairs or down stairs.I bought a dolly for about 20 bucks.I use it to move my washer and dryer to clean behind them.

There are probably a lot of clever ideas out there, but I'm with Dean, get a dolly. Go slow

The frugal thing here is to protect your investment. Both in your machine and in your back.

Check your local rental shop. I think they make a "stair dolly" specifically for moving large items up & down stairs. I don't think they charge much and it would be much easier.

Just wanted to let you know what happened when we moved years ago, so you can take precautions.

The washer leaked all over the floor with an ex-large load. It turns out that there was some kind of a stopper that shifted when the washer was moved to the house.

We solved it by calling in a repair person for too much $$. He said that this is a common occurance.

My suggestion to you is that your first load be one with a LOW water level!

So find out what to do in advance about this situation!

Here's a method I devised that worked really well. I moved a washer down a narrow and steep flight of stairs into a cellar. Takes a bit of preparation but might be useful to someone....

1. Get hold of a long roll of landscape fabric or other cheap and strong material - preferably as wide as your appliance (http://www.springbridge.co.uk/produ ... ndscape-Fabric-per-square-metre.html). This must be twice as long as your flight of stairs plus a bit extra

2. unroll a bit of fabric and roll it tightly round a flattish bit of wood (I used ply wood) which is as wide as your appliance. Screw the bit of wood flat to the floor at the top of the stairs (thus securing the landscape fabric.

3. Wrap your appliance in a blanket and secure this very well with gaffer tape.

4. Cut a bit of hardboard (ideally with a shiny slippy face on one side) the size of the side of your appliance.

5. Attach the hardboard to the side of your appliance with gaffer tape (lots). This will act as the sole of a shoe as you appliance slides down the stairs. I found it helped to cut small 45 degree angles on the front sliding face (the top) of the hardboard so it didn't snag on the fabric as it slid down.

6. Let some of the fabric out and lay it flat at the top of the stairs

7. Put your appliance on its side - hardboard side down - on top of the landscape fabric at the top of the stairs.

8. Draw the rest of the fabric round the bottom and then over the other side of the appliance so you can hold it when you are at the top of the stairs behind your appliance.

9. Run the rest of the fabric behind your back/bum and grasp it in front of you.

10. Kick/push your appliance gently over the edge of the first stair whilst leaning back on the fabric.

11. Gently let out the fabric so that the appliance slowly slides down the steps.

12. I found it would tend to stick a bit on each step so I had to give it a bit of a push with my feet on each step. To do this I sat on the stairs with my legs straddling the fabric still holding the long bit of fabric. It also helped to introduce a slight angle so that one corner of the appliance met the nose of the next step before the other corner.

Easy!

Organizing MovingJune 23, 2006
beautiful wood stairs
Selecting The Right Wood for Stairs
Washing Machine
Washing Machine Moves During Spin Cycle
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Oak Stairs
Fixing Squeaky Stairs
🎄