Neighbors Cook with Curry

I have just recently moved into a 2nd and 3rd floor apartment. My neighbors below cook with curry every day (twice a day) and the curry scent is so powerful in my apartment, it makes my roommate and I sick. The aroma is so strong in my sleeping room that my eyes burn from the odor. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to rid our apartment of the smell?

Katie from Columbus OH

Best Answer

HI! Try one of the plug in air purifiers. Febreeze makes one that removes odors. It's small and inexpensive and doesn't "cover" up anything, it removes it from the air. Works wonders on my dog bed smell.

Best Answer

Simmer a small pot 50/50 mix of vinegar & water. If you could get them to do that as they cook you would never smell the odor. Works for fish and other high odor foods also.

Best Answer

The solution is to buy yourself a HIGH QUALITY Ozone Type of Air Purifier, (or ask your landlord to have your neighbors buy one for you!). If you run one of these on a low speed when you are home & on the highest setting when you are away, the smell will eventually disappear (& stay away) from your home, your clothes, your draperies & furnishings.

You are probably also smelling like curry when you or your partner goes into the workplace. This in no laughing matter, as I once lived with someone who made a lot of fried food & when I was at work one time I overheard a colleague of mine saying "have you noticed how she smells like stale fried food" (VERY embarrassing!) Well, I'm a vegetarian & have been for nearly 30 years, so I knew it was from my roommate's fried food... I had made the mistake of leaving my sweater & work-coat hanging on the back of a kitchen chair, so the smells absorbed into the fabrics... Ever since then, I've realized that we smell like our houses, so I'll sometimes spray myself with Febreeze right before I leave my house to meet with a client or go to work.

* The Vinegar & Water solution will also help. Vinegar can work wonders! But an ozone machine will REALLY do the trick. The professionals brought an industrial Ozone machine to our home the day after we had a home fire & that ozone machine worked miracles! ALL of the smoke-smell was gone from the WHOLE house in only 2 days time! AMAZING You need to use care though as the stronger "Industrial Ozone Generators" shouldn't be used with people in the home, but the smaller "Ozone Air Cleaners" are safe to use. We ran the huge industrial machine when we were NOT at home or (since it was a very large home) when we were on a different floor with all the doors shut. Just Google "Ozone Generators" or "Ozone Air Purifiers"...

One more thing, maybe you should think about moving to another apartment in the same complex, or better yet, it would be best if THEY moved to an apartment where they'd bother no one. Maybe the top apartment would be best for them? Maybe in the summer, when they can open their windows, it'll get better for you? Who knows, maybe the landlord can make 'opening their windows when they cook' a stipulation of their lease? (because they are disturbing others) I bet they are unaware that they're causing other peoples grief. They probably don't even have a clue, so tread lightly at first. Maybe ask them to PLEASE open a window when cooking because it burns your eyes (& if you have kids tell them the curry also burns "your kids eyes" too.)

Best Answer

I don't know if all stoves are required to have a vent fan, but every place I've ever rented or owned has had one. I suggest asking the neighbors if they are using the vent fan. If not, ask them to please do so. If they are already using that fan, maybe the landlord could install a more effective one. If there is no fan, find out if the landlord would be willing to install one. Good luck. I absolutely love the smell and taste of curry, but I would not like smelling it day after day or smelling it when I don't get to partake of the food. It's a strong smell that sticks with one's clothes. If your family is smelling like curry when you go to work or any of the places you go, you might want to mention to the landlord that it is affecting your work situation (if it is).

Instead of confronting your neighbor with the problem, which will ultimately end up in a fight. Contact your landlord and explain the problem and let him/her deal with the other renter.

I wouldn't think you can do anything about the smell coming in your apartment. The landlord has to handle it for you. Maybe he/she doesn't even know those tenants are doing that. I'm sure they don't want to stop their way of cooking but you have to be able to have the right not to smell and breath something so strong. The landlord has to get them to stop, perhaps ask them to leave or if he does nothing to help you, then perhaps you need to move. It sounds like it's become pretty intolerable for you. Good luck!

I really don't have advice (you have some good ideas already) Just wanted to commiserate. I live in a second floor apartment in a block of 10 apartments. Eight out of the ten are occupied by Indian families (This is NOT a racial slur on people from India) However, the smell of curry/spices is with me day and night.. and first thing in the morning I feel my tummy heave at the smell of breakfast curry! I haven't mentioned it to the agent. After all they are (presumably) paying their rent regularly as I am, and I can't imagine an agent/owner would evict people just on the smell of their cooking.

i also have air purifiers that really help out the smell situations. they are just air cleaners, i cant stand glade and all that smelly stuff.

i have heard from several friends that when they lived in apartments there were many forieners that cooked with different kinds of spices etc. i would suggest strongly speaking with the manager. i think if you try moving you will probably end up with the same situation.

Curry Powder
Removing Curry Odor
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsFebruary 29, 2008
Lamb curry in a pan with a side of white rice.
Lamb Curry Recipes
Vegetable Curry
Vegetable Curry Recipes
Curry in Wooden Spoon
Removing Curry Stains
Red Curry Sauce
Curry Sauce Recipes
🎉
🎄