Spare Key For Car Door

I needed a spare car key in case I locked mine in the car (which was happening regularly for awhile). However, the price of a programmed key was over $100. So instead, I took my key to the local hardware store and got a regular key made, put it inside a magnetic box, and hooked it under the car. Now this key will not start the car, and when used to open the locked car, the alarm will sound. But, if the keys are inside the car, I can grab them and push the button to stop the beeping, and then be on my way without waiting for road service.

By dcnfamily from Reno, NV

That sounds good but I can't believe your doors lock when key is still in switch. My doors will not lock so I have to take my keys out and I make sure they are in my hands before I shut the door. It is shocking how much it cost to get a second key. I need to get one for my car and I guess I will save up for it! LOL

Gotta love an innovative problem-solver - especially one with such a thrifty solution! Those darn auto makers must count on situations just like yours. It's wonderful how you bypassed their little "after-market" price trap. :D

Maybe the keys were taken out of the ignition and laid on the seat because she thought of something to do before leaving the car? I've done it.

What a great idea! We've got those crazy expensive keys like that and couldn't afford a spare. I didn't know you could get one that would only open the door like that. I've learned something new. Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to tell hubby. He is the one who last locked himself out somehow. :^)

Many times I forget the key in the car because I am busy gathering up stuff to take out. Since I can't stand the beeping, sometimes I will just pull the key out of the ignition a little. Or sometimes, I have dropped it on the seat and then forgotten it. I tend to be forgetful, and it is embarrassing to have to wait for AAA, especially after a job interview. So this spares my dignity.

Check my idea I posted on http://www.thri  0435816.tip.html Excellent way to have an extra key for car and house.

The spare key that opens car door, but will not start it is a brilliant idea. After all the real key is available in the car - smile!

Anonymous

Did that on 2accasions lost both times

Anonymous

You can also unlock it with your cell phone if someone else has the spare key fob. It has to have the buttons on the spare key. You call the person who has the other one and have them ho!d the key up to cell phone and push unlock. It carries over the cell phones towers. It sounds weird but it works. We have used it more than a couple of times. I had a email sent to me from AARP that told me about it. So we had to try it. We were miles from each other and it worked.