Homemade Produce Wash

Does anyone have a recipe for washing the pesticides off of produce? My mother has auto immune disease and is on a limited budget and would like to make her own.

I'd like a recipe that mimics the kind you can already purchase in grocery stores and health food stores since her immune system is so compromised. Thanks.

Smoochie from Houston, TX

Recently posted on thrifty.com

I have used Baking soda, vinegar, and hydrogen peroxide all mixed with water.

Baking Soda:

Fill the sink a qtr of the way with tepid water add some baking soda directly to the veggies or fruit. Rub around with a little of the water...and then rinse in the sink. Dry thoroughly before storing.

(You also can clean the sink and freshen the drain when done -- the baking soda and water is great for stainless and porcelain sinks. Rinse well after.)

Again fill the sink a qtr. of the way up add a few cups of vinegar(apple or white) and soak veggies for 10 minutes. Rinse.

(Again another good sink cleaner and drain deodorizer. Add a little baking soda when done w/ cleaning produce. Scrub with a clean dish cloth. Then drain and rinse.)

Hydrogen Peroxide:

Fill a spray bottle with equal parts water and hydrogen peroxide and you have a veggie/fruit wash. Rinse after a few minutes, then consume.

Hi , a few years ago I went to see "the juice man" & the advice that he gave [ which I have used ever since ] was in a large clean bowl, dissolve 4 Tablsp of table salt, when it has dissolved add the juice of 1/2 of a large lemon, this makes an acid wash , leave larger items for 2o min' & berries for 10 min, I leave grapes for 20 min as they have been sprayed SO many times, you must rinse everything REALLY well, hope this helps you.

My sister-in-law uses a very weak bleach solution. Maybe a tablespoon in a gallon of water?

I keep two spray bottles in the kitchen. One with peroxide and the other with white vinegar. I spray with peroxide and then the vinegar and then rinse. I have an Iguana and a bird here as well as me being vegetarian so there is lots of produce being washed. This works well :)

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceApril 30, 2008
Vegatables being washed in a sink.
Homemade Vegetable Wash Recipes
A bag full of fresh produce.
Saving Money on Produce
A girl holding a basket full of vegetables.
Sharing Garden Produce
Homemade Body Wash in a Bottle
Homemade Body Wash Recipes