AdviceFood Tips

Homemade Produce Wash

Does anyone have a recipe for washing the pesticides off of produce? My mother has auto immune disease and is on a limited budget and would like to make her own.

I'd like a recipe that mimics the kind you can already purchase in grocery stores and health food stores since her immune system is so compromised. Thanks.

Smoochie from Houston, TX

http://www.thri  f262927.tip.html

Recently posted on thrifty.com

I have used Baking soda, vinegar, and hydrogen peroxide all mixed with water.

Baking Soda:

Fill the sink a qtr of the way with tepid water add some baking soda directly to the veggies or fruit. Rub around with a little of the water...and then rinse in the sink. Dry thoroughly before storing.

(You also can clean the sink and freshen the drain when done -- the baking soda and water is great for stainless and porcelain sinks. Rinse well after.)

Vinegar:

Again fill the sink a qtr. of the way up add a few cups of vinegar(apple or white) and soak veggies for 10 minutes. Rinse.

(Again another good sink cleaner and drain deodorizer. Add a little baking soda when done w/ cleaning produce. Scrub with a clean dish cloth. Then drain and rinse.)

Hydrogen Peroxide:

Fill a spray bottle with equal parts water and hydrogen peroxide and you have a veggie/fruit wash. Rinse after a few minutes, then consume.

Hi , a few years ago I went to see "the juice man" & the advice that he gave [ which I have used ever since ] was in a large clean bowl, dissolve 4 Tablsp of table salt, when it has dissolved add the juice of 1/2 of a large lemon, this makes an acid wash , leave larger items for 2o min' & berries for 10 min, I leave grapes for 20 min as they have been sprayed SO many times, you must rinse everything REALLY well, hope this helps you.

My sister-in-law uses a very weak bleach solution. Maybe a tablespoon in a gallon of water?

I keep two spray bottles in the kitchen. One with peroxide and the other with white vinegar. I spray with peroxide and then the vinegar and then rinse. I have an Iguana and a bird here as well as me being vegetarian so there is lots of produce being washed. This works well :)