Tiny Christmas Lights on the Deck

I have a deck on the back of my house and at night it's pitch dark out there. I don't like to turn the porch light on because it attracts mosquitoes, etc so bad. And citronella candles don't do a thing to repel them either.

So I came up with a great idea. I took the tiny Christmas lights, and strung them under the railing all the way around. It gives a nice soft light, without attracting the bugs. Also lights up the steps just enough so the dogs and us are able to go up and down without falling. Now it's really nice to sit out there at night.

By the way, I want to thank Deeli for her idea of lighting her way around inside and using green lights. The green ones would be even nicer on my deck too.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Good idea Cricket! And I thank you for the idea because if I have the extra money for the after Christmas sales (usually 50% off at the Walgreens down the street from me) I am going to get a couple strands of clear lights for my porch rail! I too hate turning on the bright porch light ;-) Giving you a thumbs up ;-)

When you say lights, do you mean the tube lights that are all connected? At my other place where I had a deck we did that using those lights. Took a minimal amount of electricity too.

It's been done for years in my part of the country.

I also string tiny Christmas lights around the whole perimeter of my garden....keeps the deer out and gives my garden extra light for longer growing time. Each time I do this, the yields out of my garden are exceptional. I place posts about every 8 feet and staple the wires of the lights onto the posts. Don't forget to leave an opening to go in and out of the garden.

I purchase the led lights if can when on sale. Uses less electricity & last longer. Thanks Cookie

I have picked up post Xmas lights on sale for many years. I have a 100 yr old house, the full banister, the piano leaded window, etc. I decorate with the different colors throughout the year. The clear ones are saved for the summer when you want cool color sensory. I wrap the hand railing or the window like at Christmas. It saves night lights or turning lights on at dark. My grandchildren love it. Have pink up for Valentine's Day. Have a multi colored white wired one for Easter.

I also took one of these left over light strings and laid it over my kitchen curtain rod from the top. It hangs there, green light shows in the kitchen window. Sort of a friendly hello in the dark winter days of ice, snow and cold.

Remember to recycle spent ones. Many organizations doing this to keep the lead from the landfills. Our local DAC (day activity care center) does ours.

Sounds like a beautiful look to me!

Thanks & God Bless

Trish in CT

A solar light in a garden.
Adding Lighting to Your Garden
Home and Garden Home Improvement Lighting and ElectricDecember 11, 2009
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
Beautiful Cedar Deck
Removing Sap from a Deck
Oregon Zoolights
Saving Money on Christmas Lights
Man Pressure washing his Wood Deck
Cleaning a Wood Deck